Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aww bless his little heart! How can anyone be so cruel as to leave their lovely Basset alone in a backyard for three years and ignore something as dreadful as painful Glaucoma, until his eyes were so swollen he was unable to blink? People like this just sicken me, as their Basset depends on their owner to look after them. :mad:

Thank goodness there was an eventual happy outcome to this sad tale!

Basset hound Capone finds home on Sanibel, aids cause | The News-Press | news-press.com

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
STUPID people.If they didn't have the money why not turn him over to a rescue(I know rescues get all the expensive ones).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What a wonderful ending. 3 years left alone, and yet just by looking at the pictures, he seems to be a happy dog.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Happy ending for sure.

People are just sick... I can't understand how anyone could hurt any animal. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sends tears to my eyes! What a horrible thing to have happened to dear Capone! 3 years?!? I couldn't imagine the pain and loneliness he must have felt. The only good that came from this is that he got a loving family and recieved the medical care he has needed.

It makes me wonder if his previous owners are handicapped or elderly... But still, three years is too long of a time to be alone and neglected with such a serious medical condition. Chills go up my spine just thinking that Hank's eyes could have gotten to that extremity if he hadn't had his surgery when he did. UGH!

Hurray for Capone!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw this the other day while looking at my phone before bed. It bothered me all night! I have to say, that I love even coming on here and seeing cute basset pics and videos and funny stories, but since I got Bowser i've been looking at shelter stuff, and decided I wanted to volunteer, etc. But honestly, I think i'm at an overload point. I am an upbeat person, and seeing all the sadness and stupidity is kind of overwhelming right now. I did just start a job at a petstore though, and so far it's been half good/cute, and half/want-to-slap-stupid-people-and-take-their-animals-away.
I worked at a police department for 4 years, and saw some pretty horrible stuff, and was able to handle it....but i just cannot handle the animal abuse. I really can't. It physically hurts my chest!
When I saw the photo of this dog with it's large swollen blue deseased eyes, i wanted to throw-up thinking of all that pain and upset that dog had to endure, that was completely preventable. it makes me SICK!
It's even hard to focus on the happy ending for me now, because it was so unnecessary.

Bah, sorry to take this over and rant. This was just one of those stories I saw that's been sticking with me. It's just so wrong, and so unfair to that dog. We're the humans, we're supposed to be the ones that are responsible..if we take an animal, it relies on US to take care of it. People are SO [email protected]#[email protected]%^#!!!! (Fill that in for me lol)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's even hard to focus on the happy ending for me now, because it was so unnecessary.

Bah, sorry to take this over and rant. This was just one of those stories I saw that's been sticking with me. It's just so wrong, and so unfair to that dog. We're the humans, we're supposed to be the ones that are responsible..if we take an animal, it relies on US to take care of it. People are SO [email protected]#[email protected]%^#!!!! (Fill that in for me lol)
I'm right there with you. I have a very, very hard time reading or hearing stories like this. They are so innocent and depend on us to care for them. I think because I do everything I can to make sure mine have good, healthy lives (as do all the people here on the forum). I can't fathom others not doing the same, but it is what happens.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Excuse me for saying this, but I like animals better than people a lot of the time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dogs are like young children; they are completely dependent on humans for their survival. It is incredibly frustrating when people neglect them. Some people leave them because they are afraid to leave them at a kill shelter. Realistically if a dog with a medical problem like glaucoma entered an average kill shelter they would be on the top of the euthanasia list if no rescue quickly stepped in to saved them.

Ultimately it's a much bigger problem than just one person abandoning their dog. If there were open intake no kill options and affordable veterinary care nationwide we wouldn't see nearly as many neglect/abandonment cases.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excuse me for saying this, but I like animals better than people a lot of the time.
Because my husband feels that I love Bassets more than I love people, he bought me a sign for my kitchen
that says "THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET, THE MORE I PREFER MY BASSET HOUNDS"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ultimately it's a much bigger problem than just one person abandoning their dog. If there were open intake no kill options and affordable veterinary care nationwide we wouldn't see nearly as many neglect/abandonment cases.
I totally agree. There should also be stricter laws on animal abuse and neglect. I think Capones owner should have been charged with animal neglect and forbidden to own another animal.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Because my husband feels that I love Bassets more than I love people, he bought me a sign for my kitchen
that says "THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET, THE MORE I PREFER MY BASSET HOUNDS"

LOVE IT!!! :lol:

·
Registered
973 Posts
You know I am a strong rescue advocate and obviously I have NO pity for someone that abandons or neglects a dog. I would starve myself and cut off my cable and move into a studio apartment before I would ditch my dogs. But when someone gets overwhelmed and can no longer support their dog (or dogs), in many places there simply are NO good options for them. 50% of shelter dogs are euthanized and people are afraid to take their pets because of it. No kill shelters will turn you away or tell you to take a number.

My point is getting angry at the people who do this does nothing to solve the greater problem. We have a severe lack of options for people in this situation in many parts of this country. People need a place they can give up dogs where they won't be killed and will be given every chance possible to find a new home. And people need resources to help them keep their pets when times are hard.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You know I am a strong rescue advocate and obviously I have NO pity for someone that abandons or neglects a dog. I would starve myself and cut off my cable and move into a studio apartment before I would ditch my dogs. But when someone gets overwhelmed and can no longer support their dog (or dogs), in many places there simply are NO good options for them. 50% of shelter dogs are euthanized and people are afraid to take their pets because of it. No kill shelters will turn you away or tell you to take a number.

My point is getting angry at the people who do this does nothing to solve the greater problem. We have a severe lack of options for people in this situation in many parts of this country. People need a place they can give up dogs where they won't be killed and will be given every chance possible to find a new home. And people need resources to help them keep their pets when times are hard.

I see what you are getting at. And the people that give up pets, it needs to be because they truly cannot take care of them anymore, not because they get tired of them. I think that is part of why these shelters get so overrun and overwhelmed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts