Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how many pups a basset will "normally" have. Not to worry - I have no intentions of breeding!

There is a "minister" in the southern part of NM who breeds bassets to support his "ministry". He had a litter several days ago of 4 pups. I'm guessing the female was between 1 and 2 years old, although he doesn't share a lot of info. We are trying to get him to surrender his dogs to rescue after they are no longer useful to him. If 4 is a small litter I'm hoping he might surrender this female sooner rather than later.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm curious as to how many pups a basset will "normally" have. Not to worry - I have no intentions of breeding!

There is a "minister" in the southern part of NM who breeds bassets to support his "ministry". He had a litter several days ago of 4 pups. I'm guessing the female was between 1 and 2 years old, although he doesn't share a lot of info. We are trying to get him to surrender his dogs to rescue after they are no longer useful to him. If 4 is a small litter I'm hoping he might surrender this female sooner rather than later.[/b]
Depends a bit on the bloodline and the bitch in question. I'd guess it might also depend on the care the bitch receives. I had one bitch that had two litters of 5 conceived (4 and 3 survived whelping). But usually my litters are 7-10.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miriam. I don't think his dogs have any real bloodline. They are certainly cute - but almost look more like bagels than bassets. I'm hoping that if he makes no money he will find another way to raise money. However, I don't want his dogs to suffer in the meantime. The only reason I was able to pull the male was that it needs some vet work done and he can't afford to pay the bill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts