Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Costco today and noted that AttaBoy is $11.95 for 50lbs of dry dog food. I tried to do some research about it on Google and Yahoo, and couldn't find much in the way of information.

Currently, I'm feeding Henry Purina One for adult dogs with a little wet mixed in for one of his meals. But, he'll eat anything 24/7. I have yet to see him turn up his nose at anything remotely edible. I don't give him human food at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never heard of that brand, and if no one else here has heard of it I would advise not using it. But definatly wait for others to give their two cents.

·
Registered
78 Posts
found the link for atta boy

http://www.anibrands.com/products.htm

i dont know enough to analyze the quality.

it would be great if someone can take alook at the ingredients...i got this from the atta boy site.......
Cooked Yellow Corn, Beef and Bone Meal, Soybean Meal, Cooked Wheat, Wheat Mill Run, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA), Poultry By-Product Meal, Digest of Poultry By-Products, Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper Oxide, Choline Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

[ March 06, 2006, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: jmm ]

·
Registered
932 Posts
There seems to be very little meat protein percentage wise in this food. It also worries me that the only meat is in the form of digest, meal or by products. I would also be concerned with the BHA as a preservative; there are plenty of foods out there preserved with mixed tocopherols (vitamin E). I wouldn't use it, just my opinion.

·
Registered
939 Posts
nothing great there! i'd rather feed something else unless that was all you could find and were in a pinch.you get what you pay for,but also remember feed what your dog does good on and what is easy on your budget.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of corn, first ingredient. Can be a problem for some hounds with allergies. I have a friend on another board who loves to analyze these things, but she hasn't been around lately...she's in vet school. If I see her, I will ask her.

Janet 'n Twinkie.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since we have a dog food thread running I'll jump in, too. The vet told us to switch Bogie to adult food, he' going on 11 months, so we have been doing some researching looking for one without corn. Our daughters rescued greyhound developed terrible skin problems from corn based products and is now on Nutro and doing great.

Does anyone know how good "Nutro Natural Choice with Lamb Meal and Rice" (adult) is? We know it will probably be spendier, but trying to avoid problems down the road. We can buy that one here at Tractor Supply in Mitchell. All the others we have found without corn we would have to drive 64 miles to PetCo in Sioux Falls.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To Bogie's Mom,
I use Nutro Chicken and Oatmeal and my guys do GREAT! (I've never used the lamb and rice though. Not sure that Lamb is better than Chicken) I had been feeding Pro Plan Plus, and although I didn't have any problems, the Nutro just seemed like a better product. I did some reasearch and asked around before I switched. I definitely would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone know how good \"Nutro Natural Choice with Lamb Meal and Rice\" (adult) is?  
Two of our dogs eat this with no problems and we will be switching Dixie over to it soon. Our lab used to have dry flakey skin which is no longer a problem after feeding Nutro. Another huge benefit for us switching to Nutro - it greatly reduced his gas production!! Maybe you could start out with a small bag and see how he likes it.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with AttaBoy. They also make VitaBone biscuits, and I also see AttaBoy sold in the local Albertsons supermarket.

Thanks everyone for posting some illuminating nutritional information.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
atta-boy is very low on quality meat based protein I would stay clear. Corn in this case is not being used as a carbohydrate soucre but a major source of protein and it is cooked corn at that which is not as digestable as a meal, second, "meat and bone meal tends to be highly undigestable because of a large percentage of bone. there are much better foods out there you would be better off spending more and feeding less and come out dollars ahead. One thing to also consider when looking at the label is recommend feeding amounts, You will often find lower quality foods require 2 or three times as much food as premium brand. Even if you spend 1/2 as much they are no bargain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you shop at costco I would go with kirkland brand dog food. It costs about 6 bucks more for a 40 lb bag but in my opinion is an excellent food for the price. This is what I feed my hounds and it has no corn in it. Just my two cents.

CTG

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't Kirkland made by Diamond, and have there been any problems with it?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Re: Nutro Lamb and Rice...I switched to that, and the Chicken/Rice/Oatmeal formula last year when Reuben had multiple bleeding ulcers...all the hounds get it except the diabetic, and all have thrived

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the information on Nutro Lamb and Rice. It's nice to know others have used it and are pleased with how it affected their hounds. We started Bogie on it last night, mixing 1/4 new food with 3/4 old food and he didn't blink an eye, same tonight. Chowed right down. Tomorrow we will go 1/3 to 2/3rds, etc. until we get him totally switched.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Kirkland is made by Diamond. The foods that were contaminated from this manufacturer contained corn - the Kirkland lamb and rice does not. However - a problem like the recent contaminated food makes me leery of their quality control procedures. There is no way that contaminated corn should have ended up in dog food.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bubba... I feed Dudley and Da Boyz Nutro Lamb & Rice. I figure, it sounds so good, if they ever turn their noses up at it, I can just feed it to Scratch! (just kidding, Honey) ;)

I think the dog food topic can spawn more opinions than any others on here!

[ March 07, 2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Scratch & Sniff ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts