Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

Our 4 month old puppy has an extremely foul odor coming from her mouth. I am used to a little normal halitosis from my two other adult bassets, but this is extraordinarily bad! Why, just last week she had normal puppy breath. A couple days ago I expressed her glands, thinking that she was licking back there and maybe getting some of that on her tongue. Not too much came out, but I'm sure they were completely emptied. After two days the smell should have subsided if this were the case. She is starting to get her adult teeth. I was thinking maybe she has a problem with that, or some kind of yeast infection in her mouth. Any ideas?

thanks,

scott

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Check the skin folds around the mouth. These sometimes collect saliva and other debris and become infected. When they're infected, they can give off a really awful stench. Also check in her mouth for foreign bodies (a piece of a stick or pinecone or ???), sores, ulcers, or inflamed areas.

Another thought...could she be getting into something outside, like something dead or rotting fruit on the ground or garbage, anything like that?

In any event, if you find something that looks inflamed or infected, or if the stench persists, a trip to the vet for a check is probably a good idea. Good luck! :)

[ December 20, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts