Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet wants to put Murray on Atopica for his skin problems. I've read about it, know it can cause stomach upset and loose stools (but not many other side-effects), know it's expensive-

Do any of you have personal experience with this drug? I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I decide to put him on this.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
The vet wants to put Murray on Atopica for his skin problems.[/b]
FWIW Atiopcia = cyclosporin Given the common alternative are gloucosteriods with all there known adverse effects it is probably a safer alternative.Howver I have no personnal experience,

CyclosporineBy Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP
Because cyclosporine is a relatively expensive medication, a pharmacological "trick" is often employed get a higher blood level from a lower dose. This trick involves concurrent use of the antifungal ketoconazole. Ketoconazole interferes with the liver enzymes responsible for removal of cyclosporine from the body. A relatively low dose of ketoconazole may allow the cyclosporine dose to be cut in half[/b]
Cyclosporine: the new silver bullet?Keith A. Hnilica DVM, MS, Dip. ACVD
Cyclosporine is the closest thing to the silver bullet that veterinary medicine has seen. Its ability to
improve numerous inflammatory diseases combined with the apparent lack of adverse reactions in
veterinary species makes cyclosporine close to an ideal treatment.
Key points:
Compared to steroid therapy, cyclosporine is safe and effective.
Do not treat animals with concurrent tumors.
Aggressively treat all secondary infections (skin, UTI, respiratory).
Cyclosporine m ay be less effective the second tim e around so use it wisely.
For now, do not use live virus vaccines.[/b]
EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF CYCLOSPORIN IN DOGS WITH ATOPIC DERMATITIS

Clinical trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of cyclosporine in dogs with atopic dermatitis

Brain abscess in a dog immunosuppressed using cyclosporin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts