Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rupert is my first Basset,he is nearly two and I was wondering is he likely to grow any more.
He is not a heavy dog only about 45 pounds but is very lean,his ribs are easy to find.
Also any idea when he might start to stop being quite so hyper as he goes at 100mph. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hope you're patient!

José kind of stopped growing around 1 or so but then kept "filling out" until about 2.

The Basset 500 will stop when the dog can no longer walk! José is 5 1/2 & still rips through the house like he is possessed, a few times a night. I think the nightly escapades will just one day get a little slower & maybe less fierce looking, but I can't imagine they'll ever stop.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Belvedere was about three years old when we finally realized things had become easier ...calmer ...less "surprises" when we got home.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Ditto what Jose' said. Moe looked like a long-backed beagle till he began to fill out at between one and three years. After five or six he slowed down a little. Moe, at over eight years old, still has his wild and crazy moments. After dinner he likes to play fetch but he's only good for a couple tosses before he decides he's had enough. He still has the after-bath-crazies, when he races around the house scattering the scatter rugs and rearranging the furniture. He also plays like a puppy with Tally, and he can get pretty wild and crazy when it snows.

My friend adopted an elderly hound named Rupert when one of her first pair of Bassets died, leaving the remaining one very upset and lonely. Rupert was very spry and extremley active for his supposed age of eleven years old. My friends thought the Basset Rescue's vet was mistaken about Rupert's age but their vet agreed that the estimate was close. He remained active for several more years before finally slowing down shortly before he died. It is my sincerest hope that Moe lives as long and is as active as Rupert was.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well, Lucy is three and still goes strong and fast! She is small as well. She only weighs 38 lbs. Our vet tells us she'll be a go getter for a little while longer. Sigh... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh man! We have a long road ahead of us! Thor is only 4 months old. I was looking forward to him settling down a bit after we get him neutered. If he's not sleeping, he's wild!

I'm realizing how spoiled we were with Hilda. She was much, much calmer as a puppy. He's the complete opposite.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the age they mature mentally is very individual.
Mr. Runcible seemed to come fully matured.
He's been like a calm old dog from the start, but he can go for ever
and ever when we're on our walks.

He's calm indoors and active outdoors, just the way we want our hound :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts