Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you let them sleep in your bed, and some of you don't. But I have an argument for & against letting them into bed.

This happened to me this morning.

For:

Woke up this morning with one hound on each side of me. Two warm 60 pound hounds, cuddling up on a cool morning and using me as a pillow. :wub:

Did not want to get out of bed. :)

Against:

Woke up this morning with one hound on each side of me. Two 60 pound hounds laying on both may arms, holding the covers tight across my chest. :huh: One using my stomach as a pillow, the other using my face. :p

Could not get out of bed. :eek:

There is always two sides to the same argument. But in the end, they will still sleep in the bed. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I can relate to both sides of the argument!

I LOVE to cuddle with my hounds in a cosy bed, but sadly I had to put an end to it. I was so tired of constantly washing all the bedding, or vaccuming the bed on days I didn't wash the blankets.

I also had to salvage my marriage! :p The hounds crowded my husband right out of bed, and onto the couch. Four in a bed gets a little crowded. I think he felt I thought more of my hounds than I do of HIM...(I won't even go there! :D ) And we were not getting proper sleep, as they were constantly shifting.

We had to put up with a few nights of howling, and I was heartbroken about it, but then I realized that the hounds had two very comfy couches to stretch out on. That's more than some children in this world have...
helped me to put it into perspective.

Sandy :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Of course! :blink: Who would allow the dogs in the bed? :eek:

Let me just show you, the benefit of a nice bed - not contaminated by any bassets:

But butt, what's this?

Could you please turn off the light and go to bed?

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rusty & Stickers aren't allowed in our bedroom. They have been sleeping either on their pipe beds, pillow bed or in the crate since we got them. All of which are in our family room where we spend most of our time. We never close the door on the crate but Rusty loves to nap in there. It is huge, was my German Shepherd's. We got tired of looking at this huge cage and it was starting to rust. We decided to pack it up and get them a new bed that is even softer than the crate. We bought them a crib mattress!!!!! I got a soft crib mattress pad and adorable crib sheets!!! So far, Rusty loves it!!!!!!!!!! Snoozing away for his naps but Stickers still prefers the pipe bed or her pillow. She isn't quite sure what to make of it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Toby sleeps downstairs on the couch. He has beds but has more or less commandered the couch.(day and night) My westie sleeps in a crate with the door closed to keep them separate as she plays too rough for him. and needs supervision.
I have a baby gate on the stairs and he hasn't been up there for several years, although I think if I had that little Stickers, I would be carrying her up the stairs to bed with me every night. :) That is the lovliest pic I have seen of her yet and that pic of Rusty is adorable. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
George doesn't like the bed so he has his own. He used to have the couch but Gigi took that for HER bed. She'd like to get in bed with us, but she's too much of a gallumph and we don't let her. I know she gets on it when we're not here, though. :p It's not the hair or the dog smell -- we're covered in hair and dog smell anyway -- it's that I like to stretch out and she'd take up all the space!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Peanut and Tarquin both sleep with me. Peanut usually sleeps down at the foot, mainly because Tarquin beats her to the other spot next to me. She beat him to it last night but early this morning, I finally had to shift her over cause I was falling off the bed and burning up! I guess I made her mad...she figured out how to nose the pocket door in the kitchen open and slept on the couch in the living room! Tarquin usually wakes me up by dive bombing Peanut (which starts a huge wrestling match, to wake me up I suspect) and with her being in the living room...he decided I would do! What a way to wake up!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Steinar, I laughed out loud at Doris' BUTT picture that I scared Ruby and then it set off the 2 arfy yorkies barking next door............You poor precious Doris....your mean daddy woke up up with that mean camera in your face. :lol: Your squished sleepy face says it all.

And Patti.....when you told me you had bought Rusty a baby bed, I really wasn't grasping the idea of it until I saw the picture! It's a real bed!!!!! I'm sure Ms. Stickers will be using it soon too eventually.
If not, you'll have to get another one. :D

BTW, I wasn't planning on kissing Ruby "right on da lips" but she moved her head and I did.....with her breath! Yeee-YIKES! I might end up with hoof and mouth disease. tee hee

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maggie's Mommy... I did the crib mattress thing too! It was cheaper than the dog beds & you get a decent size bed.

Josés beds have come in phases...

Phase 1: The Tiny Puppy Stage. He slept in a crate with me on the couch downstairs next to him so I could take him out once or twice a night. <_<

Phase 2: The Cute Puppy Stage. He sleeps in my bed with me. Awwww isnt he so cute and cuddly and sweet? :D :D

Phase 3: The Dog Stage. Okay not so cute and cuddly anymore when he is in my full size bed, and the hair! But yet he remains there, after all I work all day & want to make sure we are together at night. :blink:

Phase 4: OMG Get Him Out of My Bed Stage (aka the I Now Have A Serious Boyfriend stage). :eek: :blink: :eek: :blink: Someone must go... I buy a crib mattress & comforter for him & put it right next to my bed. Nice, because it slides under my bed in the am.

Phase 5: Grown Up Dog stage. He actually took over the futon in the spare room, so i put sheets on it and tucked a comforter in the top so it forms a tee-pee kind of thing for him to cover up under. Everyone's happy! B)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
A crib mattress is cheaper than dog beds? But what about all that hair and hound odor?

Also, for those of you who let your dogs be in your bed...don't they shed all over you?

Ruby had two doggy beds in our house; one in the family room and one in the bedroom. Even tho I brush her daily, I have to wash her bed covers at least twice a week because of all that hair.

Moooo, said Ruby!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Janice: A crib mattress can be wiped off. The mattress is a vinyl, waterproof material. It's not cloth like ours. Also, I bought a crib mattress pad to go under the sheet. I will wash the crib sheet weekly. Now I have an excuse to go buy baby linens :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I let Bogie sleep in my bed the first night I had him because he was just so sad if he was alone. And now he thinks it's his! When I get into the bed, he moves to the foot, but if he is taking a nap, he puts his head right on my pillow. I dont allow him under the covers, so what I do is keep a sheet on top for him, and that keeps the hair out of where I sleep. He's never tried to crawl under the covers with me, but it hasn't gotten cold yet! Usually he decides halfway through the night he is sick of me rolling around, and jumps off and either onto the floor or into one of his two bed, which I have a feeling become chew toys during the day while I'm gone!

I'm thinking about trying the crib idea! It sounds perfect!

·
Registered
535 Posts
At this time both our hounds are sleeping in our bed. I love having them their to cuddle with but their both growing so much which is leaving less and less room for my husband & myself. I really like the baby mattress idea, especially since you can slide it under the bed during the day; I think I will try that. I know it won't be easy moving them to the floor, we'll have a couple rough nights because they are so used to being in bed with us, I think I will start it on a Friday & Saturday night when I don't have to get up early for work. As far as the shedding goes we really don’t have a big problem with that, at least not yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
More crib mattress tips - On the crib mattress, I used a "full" size sheet, which I put on sideways & it covered both the top and the bottom of the mattress - kind of wrapped up the entire thing. I just washed the sheets every week or so (sometimes I put two or three on and just peel off a layer when it gets dirty).

Don't forget the comforter! What I did to make it more manageable is I took an old full size comforter and cut it in 1/2 & sewed each one shut. 1/2 comforter is a good size and easier to wash. José loves to be under covers so I would cover him at night and also I would catch myself in the middle of the night - if I heard him stirring I would lean over and re-cover him. Not a bad life!

I use the same 1/2 comforter for Jose's futon now - tucking the short end into the top so he can always get under it without it falling off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was woken up two nights ago by a VERY strange sensation... my head was moving but didn't know why. Bleary eyed, I turned over to find Snoopy trying to steal my pillow from under my head. I sat up, he took the pillow and curled up with him head on it at the end of the bed.

Bloody hounds. Grrr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts