Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
331 Posts
Absolutely right. There is a need for breeders to produce bassets of good quality and capable of doing what they were bred for originally. Many of the show winners could not run any distance and some field trial dogs are being bred to barely be able to move at faster than a walk, because that is what the judges want. Neither one is a good basset!!!! I try to watch conformation in my field dogs, which is why my dogs do not do as well as they could. I refuse to create unsound dogs to win. Showing a basset is somewhat the same, judges are supposed to ignore scars which are from field work, but do they? Why should I have to wear a suit to have a chance to win?
Recently I have become very active in the American Rabbnit Hound Assoc. We register only 3 breeds (beagle, basset, harrier), conduct rabbit hunts and conformation shows. At a basset hunt, the dogs are released in small packs and they have to hunt for their rabbit. At most hunts, there is a conformation show. To enter the show, a hound must run in the hunt. These hounds are often muddy, tired and sometimes have bloody ears when judged. Our goal is a good sound hound capable of running rabbits for extended periods.
See Celeste Gonzalez's comments in the performance forum or check ARHA.com.
Dean Wickwire- [email protected]-610-942-2840
There will be an ARHA hunt in Denver, Pa on June 4. All bassets, even neutered, are welcome.

· Registered
331 Posts
OK, here goes-- this is guaranteed to ruffle feathers. GENERALLY SPEAKING, show dogs are larger, and not as lean as field dogs. Field dogs are leaner, thinner and leggier. There are show dogs which are in good shape and there are field dogs that could pass for show dogs. Some field dogs are bred to be slow and stylish trackers. there are breeders trying to produce all-around hounds. Many field breeders watch conformation, but some breed for nose and nothing else. Both groups are guilty of raising bassets in kennel enviroments. these pups are not socialized and generally timid. Good backyard breeders produce better pups than some top breeders, because the pups are used to being with people.
Again, this does not apply to all breeders, but it does happen.
Please don't tell me about which breeder does what, I am not referring to any one person. I have been raising, showing and field trialing bassets for many years (25 or more) and these are just my observations.

· Registered
331 Posts
You're right about the show dogs, they do look better than a few years ago.
The ARHA hunt is south of Reading, Pa. just off of exit 21 of the turnpike. We will be running bassets all weekend, so if you can, come in on Friday and we can get in a good bit of running. Lots of rabbits, motels nearby, lots of room for camping, food available at the hunt. We should have bassets from NJ, NY, Pa, Oh, and more.
The ARHA.com home page should have state reps listed. If not I can put you in touch with someone local.

· Registered
331 Posts
Just like people, they are all different. Some people would use either one for breeding because they have the same pedigree, but I would only use the one which I think is best.
There is no reason to believe a puppy mill hound could not run a rabbit. If you check the performance forum, you will see an article about some rescue bassets doing well in the ARHA World basset hunt.

· Registered
331 Posts
Absolutely!!!! Bring on the house pets and couch potatoes!! For one, I welcome any new basset to field trialing or hunts. I am not out there to win a trophy. For about $20 I can get a huge one saying I own the "world's best ever rabbit hound". I am there to have fun and enjoy bassets at work and my friends, even those I have not yet met

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.