Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With cold winds blowing and a blizzard on the way, I needed to do something about the drafty dog door. They constantly go in & out, and I didn't want to just close off the door just because of the cold air. The only thing I could think of, was a double door porch. It doesn't look real good, but maybe when the winter is over, I can build something better. I'll see if it's worth the trouble if this blizzard hits us, but I think it's helping already.

It didn't take the hounds long to figure out that there are two doors.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What a neat idea. I'm sure that it will really help. That lovely forcast is supposed to hit us with freezing rain then lots of snow. Looks like winter is on its way. Stay warm.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Do you have a patent on that :eek: ? because I would buy one in a heartbeat, as would everyone else in cold climates!

Sandy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
How very clever of you! If it works well you may have a possible money-making invention on your hands...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A friend has a doghouse built around the dog door. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
A nice lady on the daily drool suggested "double-flapping" a door. I love what you've done! It makes wonderful sense. Kind of their own mud room.

What is the outside flap made of? Did you have to buy another dog door kit?

Thanks for posting!

Tami

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
you should put a heavy-dutydoormat in there so they can wipe their pawsies on the way into the house. And maybe a mister to spritz them with doggie parfum in case they got into something they shouldn't have while outside. :p
I put a dog door going from my house into my garage, then another going from the garage outside, to try to avoid the draft. Plus, if I need to (which I rarely do), I can shut them out of the house and they still have protection from the elements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a neat idea. It is so funny to see the things we construct for our babies. Here is a ramp that we added onto our deck for hound use :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the outside flap made of? Did you have to buy another dog door kit?[/b]
Actually, I found a 1/4" thick plastic cutting board that was just the right size. I had to replace the main dog door flap last summer, when they chewed the original one up. I like the plastic board, because it's smooth and it's strong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts