Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious, are there different types of Basset hounds, I have noticed that some are very chubby and flabby with short snots and that others (Like Mine) are skinny and only have some extra skin but a very long snot. So if someone has insight on this i would really appreciate it. Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am just curious, are there different types of Basset hounds, I have noticed that some are very chubby and flabby with short snots and that others (Like Mine) are skinny and only have some extra skin but a very long snot. So if someone has insight on this i would really appreciate it. Thank you
[/b]
<div align="center">This link leads to text that might clarify the differences between two standards of the breed ...</div>

<div align="center"> Click Here To Read The Info.</div>

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/b]

I have no idea where that author found that French Standard for a basset. It is not the French Standard for what we call a basset hound in the United States. I have seen basset hounds from France and they are often even bigger and heavier than ours. Their Standard does not have the same 15" hight limitation. We have one Standard here in the US, the AKC Standard.

Much of what we see as differences in basset hounds in the US is poor breeding. Many "breeders" pay no attention to the AKC Standard.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Some bassets are different types depending on the day and their mood, too. :p Lazy loafer on Monday, wild lunatic on Tuesday ... :lol:

Just joking -- I know what you're really talking about.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This board is a part of a basset site called CyberHound.
If you start with the frontpage, you can find a lot of info
about the basset, and links to other sites.

This is the address: http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/core.html

The basset standard is the same everywhere, and well bred
bassets will look much the same no matter where they come
from.

Two examples of bassets looking like they should:

This is my Soffi, she's multichampion and one of the best females I've
seen - although I may be biased:

This is Swede Sun's Konrad, one of the best males:

Konrad's merits:

NORDUCH Nordic Champion
SUCH Swedish Champion
NUCH Norwegian Champion
DKUCH Danish Champion
FINUCH Finnish Champion
LUXCH Luxembourg Champion
CHCH Swiss Champion
NV-00 Norwegian Winner-00
SV-01 SV-02 Swedish Winner-01-02
WW-00 World Winner-00 in Milan, BOB and BIG-2
World Champion 2000 and E.N.C.I. Champion of the Year
2 CAC in Italy
TOP Basset Hound male 2001
N:eek: 2 TOP Basset Hound 2002
Multiple Group Winner and Best in Show Winner
Speciality Best in Show-winner

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well maybe my basset comes from bad breeding, she is skinny (with her cute little potbelly) and has long back legs, but she seems to look like all the bassets I have seen in person,she is still a little pup maybe she will grow into herself I don't know I was just curious so I figured I would ask, thank you so much for all the links.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, please... but 'pet-quality' doesn't necessarily mean 'poor-quality'.

Some pet-quality dogs come from champion or well-bred Bassets. My friend has had five pure-bred, well-bred Bassets, three from champion parents. But sometimes pups from two of the best Bassets ever born can produce pups that don't meet the 'standards' or have some reason that they won't qualify as show-dogs - long hair, too tall, etc. or even that thier temperment or personality makes them unsuitable for showing. A dog like this is not necessarily badly bred, even though they don't meet the standards. Doesn't a breeder usually keep the best examples of the breed from each litter for show or future breeding? (And the breeders I'm speaking of are 'responsible and reputable breeders', NOT the puppymills or BYB's) One of my friend's dogs was such a dog - kept by the breeder - but by four months old it was determined that he was not going to be a show dog and then he was sold as a pet. My point is that 'show-quality' dogs seem to be more rare than 'pet-quality' dogs, even among pedigreed dogs. And a pet-quality dog from a good breeder is always neutered, or required to be neutered... I'm sure mostly because it is the responsible thing to do, but is it also to prevent the breeding of more dogs with faults or defects? (This question is just idle curiosity) I do know that it is better to get a pet-quality dog from a reputable breeder than from a pet store or BYB... it reduces the risk of heartache down the road.

Anyway, it seems that among pet-quality dogs there are a wide variety of builds, sizes, colors, and shapes, some with long ears or short, some with long legs or short, some with big feet or small, some with long hair or short, some with more wrinkles than others, and some with fiddle-fronts or saggy backs, or perhaps even a tail that doesn't stand at attention. :huh: Some are well-bred, some are not. (my own Moe has back legs taller than his front legs and a front leg deformity), but I think that they ALL have big hearts!!!! B)

·
Registered
530 Posts
As Terry says, they all have big hearts!

And that's really what's important, if you're not
showing or breeding, the inside matters most.
The breeder must also try to avoid any illness
that can be passed on from one generation to
next. Buying a bad bred dog can cost you a
fortune in vet bills.

A good breeder will always keep the best in a
litter, or sell them to someone showing dogs,
the rest will be sold for people just wanting a
pet. But also these will look like champions
for the untrained eye.

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

<div align="left"> </div>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, please... but 'pet-quality' doesn't necessarily mean 'poor-quality'.

[/b]

You are very correct. The rest of your post is well said. A responsible and reputable breeder usually has dogs that they do not wish to show or breed for one reason or another. These are usually beautiful examples of the breed, but just don't make the cut. It's impossible for one of these breeders to keep all the dogs they breed.

Unfortunately some BYBs and puppy mills just use any basset hounds (or something close), what ever they have in their kennel at the time. and breed them. Now that AKC has started cracking down on them they have started other registeries that will register dogs from any combination of parents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts