Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general forum without thinking, and maybe it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd post it here too. I'm looking into getting a puppy from a breeder who says that cysts are a common health problem for bassets(the sire has cysts). I've never heard of that, so I wondered if any of you have. also, are cysts hereditary anyway? HELP- I have no other resource!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh my goodness....yes. Bassets are notoriously "lumpy". Generally, these cysts are not a problem and can be left alone. Somtimes it's best to have them removed. I have 3 hounds and just had 2 removed from my rescue, Roscoe. 1 subdural cyst and a lipoma. My other 2 hounds are lump free as of right now but they are younger than Roscoe. I'm sure someone can elaborate a bit more on this "trait". One thought though...one may want to ask the breeder if the stud has had pathology run on any of his cysts.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Way back, I had a Champion sired litter of eight. One puppy from this litter developed cysts from about the age of two and continued to have at lease one a year pop up after that. Being in contact with the puppy owners I checked to see if any others were having a problem with cysts,none did and the two puppies I kept from that litter never had a problem either. If both parents have a cyst problem then I beleive there could be something passed to the pups geneticly but other than that, it just happens to some and not others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts