Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old basset. Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed his arching back. I don’t know if it’s always been like that or if it’s now happening as he grows older. It seems like I should stretch him out to pull his back straight (I won’t). Has anyone seen a similar thing happen? Is this normal for a puppy?

Also, he has done something to his back leg. He limbs when he walks. He holds it up when he stands. He can run and jump on it. He doesn’t cry and doesn’t mind you playing with his leg. He’s okay, for a while, after he naps or wakes up in the morning. I thought about wrapping it up to keep him off of it. I would hate to have to put the lamp shade (don’t know the real name) on him. If it doesn’t get better in a week, I’ll take him to the vets.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I remember when Roady was a pup I was watching him from the window while talking on the phone with my basset mentor and I said, "Oh my god he's got a roached back!" I don't recall his exact age but she said don't worry about it, that means he'll have a level topline and won't be sway backed. She said at that age you want them a little roachie. Again don't recall age but less than 6 months.

I also recall it being said "gee that dog must have worms, look at his roached back."

Sorry I can't confirm either of the above statements with "scientific proof" but maybe one of the breeders on the forum can enlighten us.

He also might be roached because he's in pain.

[ May 07, 2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hardy, 2 1/2 years old, has an arched (roach) back...just one of his many confirmation faults. A breeder associated with Droopy Rescue always is at our big fund raiser to explain the breed standards and last year used Hardy as an example of horrible breeding! But interstingly enough, altogether, he is an appealing picture and he's the one of my boys that everyone comments on.

Judy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I'm late on posting this, but thanks for the info. I posted another problem he's having.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts