Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading on a field trial beagle website about people using this in their dogs drinking water,said it would help keep them tick and flea free plus it is good for the GI Tract and their kidneys,could even disolve any stones the dog may have and help them to pass them. What is anyone's thought's on this and do you or have you ever tried it? I started giving it to mine b/4 the Spring Nationals and i started again when i came home. i have noticed a reduced urine smell around the kennel.i was also told it would stop algae from growing in the water bowls also,so far with all the hot weather there is none in the bowls.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I give it to my blueberries and strawberries, and they seem happy. :lol:

As for it dissolving stones, I don't think so, at least not for lots of critters. Case in point: I have a niece who has a hereditary disorder --- her kidneys can't process certain aminos, so she develops these huge staghorn kidney stones if she's not careful.

She has to take baking soda every day --- prescribed by the doctors --- to keep her body alkaline, instead of acid. Vinegar, however, would do just the opposite.

Still, a lot of people swear by a bit of vinegar every day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in dogs it will reduce the incidence of stuvite crystals and make them pee a little more,but not enough to cause any concern...pee that is. the whole dog journal just did a article on ACV in your dogs diet.i have not read this just passing on what i read on the beagle website. a lot of the oldtimers chimed in on this one and swear by it. i'm trying it and will post more on my feeling on this as time goes on. Billy

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
it's such a mixed bag. the only thing i know for sure that's recommended for everyone (including two leggers) that will help prevent stones is lots of fluids. and some stones require am acid environment to form, while others, alkaline.

IMO, unless a pup has some kind of inherited abnormality like my niece, the vinegar wouldn't hurt --- if it did, every person who ate lots of salads with vinegar would be in agony from stones most of the time. :lol:

but lots of water is probably more important.

i think some diets are also more likely to lead to stones, although i don't know which. and, from what i understand, pups who've had UTIs are at a much higher risk.

long way around to say, hey, i don't know! :lol: but i honestly can't see how it would hurt unless someone's giving them huge amounts of vinegar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts