Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has had a dog with liver problems, I'd love to hear from you- you can private message me if you don't want to post on the forum- any help would be appreciated.

Murray's liver ALT enzyme was up another 300 points this morning from last week; the vet feels that a surgical biopsy/exploratory surgery is warranted. I am still hesitating on this becasue of his age/ allergy history with drugs, and want to monitor for a few weeks longer.He's had 2 ultra sounds, xrays, and every kind of blood work imaginable in the past 4 weeks. His weight is down a little, but holding steady right now.

I put him on Hill's Liver support diet this morning, and he'll stay on Denamarin to support his liver.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with canine liver problems?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi murraysmom,

Sadie had liver problems for the last several years of her life. The vet felt it was due to her being on meds for arthritis for so long. She couldn't come off the arthritis meds, so along with them, she ended up taking medicine to improve her liver function. I think it was called Denosyl, but I'm not positive-it's been a long time. As long as she stayed on that, her liver function was ok whenever they did blood tests. They did have to adjust dosage from time to time. The bad thing was the price. Between the arthritis meds & the liver meds, it was almost $7.00 a DAY.

Spencer had some liver issues as well, and he had a liver biopsy done. They put him out, but it wasn't long-just enough time for the doctor to do the procedure. They even let me stay in the room with Spencer when they did it. Spencer was fine afterwards.

I hope you find an answer for Murray. I know how frustrating & heart-wrenching it can be when they have problems.

Amy

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
The only liver Problem I have had to deal with were from Phenobarbitol toxicity as it realted to seizure control. All the typical symptoms including jaundice comming on very quickly ie less than a week. She needed to be hosptialized because redraw of antisiezure medication their was a concern for a status or cluster siezure but that did not happen Remarkably she made a full recovery is a little over a week when she went in is was 50/50 at best. Certainally nothing that is really applicable to your situation.

The common holestic treatment for liver function is "milk Thistle" I do believe it is an ingredient in Denamarin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts