Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lollypop has become a very vocal girl. Not in the bark her head off sense, but in the expressive sense. She will growl at me pretty much any time she wants something. No, not a threatening growl, but a gutteral "I want this now" type thing. She also has a wide variety of of whine's, grunts and squeaks. Trouble is, While I have learned a few hound words, I have yet to become fluent. She is most vocal post nap, which can happen at the very least 3 to 4 times a day. She gets PLENTY of exercise, roughly 3 to 4 miles walking in the a.m. Pretty much walking, bellly rubbing and food are the only methods I know of to curb her verbosity (hound-osity?) I fear we are spoiling her rotten and she is becoming demanding!

How fluent with your hounds have you become? Any advice in hound conjugation?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Some hounds are simply vocal. Rainbow used to "talk to herself" when working out a problem, a trait I now see in her granddaughter Melody and great granddaughter Minnie.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie is very vocal too. She whines a ton when we are ignoring her/not giving her attention.

I think the best time is when she will be trying to get at something or get our attention when we are eating dinner or some other time that she needs to give us our space and she will collapse in frustration and let out a huge sigh as if to say "hmph.. fine!"

I think you know your basset best and can understand her best:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have a talking basset with multiple sounds too, Miss Bella is very verbal, not sure which my favorite one is, but I do love her growling moaning frustration when she gets a toy under the sofa and is working with her paws to get it out. Her I want attention as she backs up and hops growling at me wanting me to put my computer on the floor so she can get in my lap. Tonight I got home at 1230 from work and she has actually been driving me nuts, talking to me wanting something every 2 minutes. I am so tired I just want cuddle time she has something else in mind... and we all know you won't change a hounds mind. lol

Tonight was funny before I left for work, I had fixed dinner and for some reason once we sat down to eat a roll of paper towels spontaneously dropped on the floor, well it did not belong and she howled at it as if it were alive and going to attack her. We laughed so hard, she so rarely barks at 10 months old it still cracks us up when she does.

My other female Miss Lolly, does a whine whistle when I leave a room, she was severely abused and wants me with her all the time. She also plays a game with my son when he comes downstairs, she goes from a loud bark where she barks once, then this varying growl and almost a huff, he responds back and they play this game her tail wagging the whole time. Gotta Love Em!

Bo =o)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl Lily is very vocal and demanding...she only does it to me though...drives me nuts! The thing is I don't give in to her demands, but boy she keeps on trying. My boy Gibbs gets vocal when he really needs something or whenever someone is changing clothes (he really hates us changing clothes for some reason). They really are characters!

~Heather

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ellie likes to talk when she really needs to go outside, or something is under the sofa like her tennis ball. And she also hates when you or anyone else starts to put on shoes because she knows that you are about to leave her.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cannoli is a master at the "flop and humph" which always cracks us up, and she has a really wide range of whines, grunts and growls. We try to keep the actual barking to a minimum out of respect for our neighbors, she can really bring the house down when she gets excited. It is without a doubt the most amazing bark I have ever heard!!

The only dog I've ever had that came close to being as conversational was a Siberian Husky/Wolf mix. He wasn't a barker but was vocal and would "talk" to you.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Not for nothing but do you notice a trend. Not to many popping up hear about their vocal males. While generalizations are always dangerious I find female bassets generally to be more vocal I am speaking frequency (how often) not how loud.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Not for nothing but do you notice a trend. Not to many popping up hear about their vocal males. While generalizations are always dangerious I find female bassets generally to be more vocal I am speaking frequency (how often) not how loud.
Maybe not, but I DID have a male who was a constant whiner. ;)

Actually, my second basset,Watson, was relatively vocal and would "talk" to get your attention - especially after he'd been "sitting pretty" for more than a minute and nobody had fed him yet.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quite interesting...especially considering women love to talk so much. ;)

~Heather

1 - 11 of 11 Posts