Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It pains me to even post this message and I'm not 100% sure if I'm ready to go through with putting Virgil up for adaption, im just not sure how much longer we can keep him. So I guess I'm more interested in seeing if someone's seeking an basset so it wouldn't be so hard letting him go, knowing he'd be in good hands. We have had Virgil from when he was pup from breaders out of new market, iowa. I'm not going to lie we have had many Heath issues over the years with Virgil. But we are n the road to recover in my opinion. So you ask why I'm looking to give him away. To be honest, financially the cost of maintaining his allergies (which increased as we bought our new house) San expense I'm not sure we can take on forever espy when considering children after the wedding. We did an allergy test and he's allergic to dust mites, storage mold, and a fantasy word for soil. He is on an oral vaccine (two drops in mouth twice a day for rest of life) but it will help prevent him from itching due to exposure o his allergists. He also has thyroid disease which is two pills in the am. The vet visits aren't too crazy now that we have diagnosed him and he Actually is back to becoming a normal fun dog again. He has stayed at friends houses for days at a time to see if he would itch like he does in our house and his symptoms improved. He also does better around other dogs as he has so much energy. He has been around boxers, labs, small, a mixed breed basset, etc and gets along great and loves to play. One negative side is the barking. He just has so much energy once you wear him out he is great! I have tried my best to wear him out and play with him but my fiancé and I don't have the time needed to really fulfill that playin etc and can't afford bringing on another dog for him. He is house trained of course and knows all his sit, stay, Come, fetch, etc commands. But he is a basset so very stubborn. There biggest issue we are facing is what I'm sure mos of you are aware of, the basset hound smell. My fiancé of 8yrs loves me and Virgil but the arguments are increasing as are new house smells like "Virgil" he can't handle any more of his health issues etc and honestly I'm not sure I an either. It kills me to consider it as he so cute cuddled up next to me right now buit know long term we can't go on like this. If anyone is interested in meeting him or seeing pics or more info or advice please let me know.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh he is soooo gorgeous. It's such a shame you are thinking of giving him up. I think if you did, you will be gutted once he has gone. I know I would be. I miss my joey boy even when I'm at work.

I cannot help you here as I live far away.

As for the hound smell....I love that smell :) x

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lisa,
I know what you mean that's why it's such a hard decision. If we go on vacation for one day or 10 days I miss him sooo much but it's getting to the point that he may be better in another home. I'm looking for one that appreciates that hound smell like you say and can give him better attention and care than I can. Also one that understands hounds because this breed is unique, I give him that :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
if we could figure out how to get him id love to have him i just cant afford the trip im in canton michigan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Virgils adoption

Well I will keep you in mind but I think michigan is a bit far to drive. Im willing to travel if we find a good home but ill see if I get any closer responses first. Or if someone would be willing to meet half way. I havent contacted rescue yet, hopin to find a family on here.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
How can you not have that FACE around!! Makes me weep athough if he's now a round peg in the square hole, so to speak, perhaps he is going to be better of in a home where his problems are understood.

Is there a breeder in the picture still because this is the first person you should be contacting - in fact many good breeders have a return clause in their sale contract even if this was some years ago now. Even if they can't accommodate a male while a new home is looked for (and this may be the case), at least most breeders would want to be involved. And may have contacts, perhaps with another houind they've sold earlier? Alternatively if that's a no-go, then please contact a local Basset Rescue. This is such a unique breed, and for sure, his next home has to stick. All too often males especially seem to start going from home to home, once they lose the first one. Becoming more and more unsettled with every switch. :(

·
Registered
653 Posts
Many basset rescues have lists of volunteers that will help transport a needy hound to a new home. each driver will transport dog one leg of trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to agree about basset baby's that are boys, get that unsettled feeling. We've adopted crocket from the shelter. he was with them for on and off for 3 years. we were his 4th home!!. He is now finally getting our trust. we had him now 3 years, he wont be going to anymore homes ever. He is stuck with us...lol. But he still has this anxiety issue if we even leave him for a few hours he gets unsettled. And when I come home he will bark and jump on me and bark again and yell. When I talk to him he gets louder...it's defiantly him yelling at me for leaving. He only acts this way with me. I think it's because I am a stay at home mom and wife. The kids and my husband can go to work for 8 hours or school and come home...He is fine!!. No yelling at them. But if I leave even for 1 hour, he really gets mad at me.
I know this post is old, I really hope you changed your mind but if you didn't hope he went to one of the families on here!!. It would be awesome to hear a update if anyone knows what happened to this baby. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts