Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Abby has a deformed right foot, i.e. her paw turns out about 45 degrees to the right. It is the result of a trauma when she was young (before we got her). Our vet has said that it will probably get worse and that ideally it should be operated on. Unfortunately, he said that as Bassets are a relatively rare breed in Japan, he doesn't think that any Japanese surgeons would feel at ease doing this operation on a Basset. Also, he thinks that it would be better to operate on her while she is younger (she is almost 2 years old), rather than wait until we return to Europe in 2 1/2 years.

Does anyone know any good orthopedic surgeons we could contact for advice on this? Europe, N. America or Australia would be possible options I guess.

Thanks a lot!
Michael

[ November 01, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Abby ]

·
Registered
797 Posts
Many bassets have deformed feet and legs. There have been many cases of surgery being performed just to correct the appearance. Many hinting and field bassets running for years with turned-out feet (1 or both) and they have no problems.I would try to find a vet with some basset experience, or send x-rays to a vet school, or just wait and see if there is more than a cosmetic problem

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is an interesting topic. I was sure Samsons left foot was broke when I got him,it also turns out quite a bit and the leg bone sort of bends differently in that leg than his right. My vet assured me it was not broke and never had been that this just happened sometimes in bassets.He has never hinted there would be a future problem or something I should watch. People sometimes ask me if Samson broke his leg and I've often questioned my Vets diognosis,but the leg never has bothered him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tucker's left paw turns out quite a bit. When I asked my vet about it he thought it was rickets(he's in his 80's), but another vet didn't think it was. That vet didn't think it was anything to worry about unless he started to have problems with it. So now I just keep and eye.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
As many members have already mentioned, although undesirable, it's not unusual for a basset to turn a front foot, and most don't require corrective require surgery.

Perhaps you or your vet could obtain a consultation from a Dept. of Orthopedics at one of the vet schools along the west coast, in California, Oregon, or Washington.

[ November 02, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you for your answers. The cosmetic issue is not one that concerns us really. More important was the issue about whether this deformity is causing Abby any pain or discomfort. It certainly doesn't seem that way at the moment.

I guess we really need to try and contact a veterinary (outside of Japan) who has had some experience with Bassets and see what they say.

Thanks again all of you for your input. It's been really useful in allowing us to try and form an opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Abby,
go to this web site
http://www.southpaws.com/
I know some of the doctors, they were very very good to us when we had a dog going through chemo. They are located right outside of Washington, DC in Sprigfield, Virginia. They should be able to help refer you to someone overseas. Many of their patients are military or State Department Families. If you need any other help please note me off-line.
Christy
Buddy and Dominic's mom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Christy

Thanks for the pointer. It's an interesting site.

Our vet actually just informed us that he has a visiting colleague from a veterinary school in Michigan and he has agreed to take a look at Abby on Friday.....so we will see what he says. Hopefully it won't be too serious.

Thanks anyway to all of you for your support and ideas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Daisy's left paw is also bowed funny, the vet said he didn't see anything wrong, but also to watch it, it may cause her problems later in life. It does look like something happened to it, but we are not sure. We adopted her in Aug, and have no records on her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts