Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if Spencer is showing signs of it. He is now 12 1/2 years old & I've noticed changes in him over time, but recently have noticed some additional changes. For example he has developed some fears and I do not know where they are coming from. Recently whenever I cook he panics & insists on going outside (I didn't think my cooking was that bad! ;) ). I bought him a new bed that he slept in for 2 weeks and now he won't go near it. He shows fear around people he knows and never previously had problems with. I have caught him staring at the wall and just getting up and barking for no reason (that is apparent to me anyway). He's been to the vet recently and checked out ok. I am dealing with some separation anxiety since he had a recent lifestyle change, but it is improving. He is taking Clomicalm and I am trying some behavior modification with him. I talked to the vet today and he seems to think there may be some cognitive dysfunction going on. He wants me to continue to work on the separation anxiety to see if things continue to improve overall, but I honestly don't think all his behaviors are due to the separation anxiety. Some existed before that all started. Generally he seems happy, still shows interest in walking and playing, but does have moments where I wonder....

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm sorry about Spencer! :(

My sister's chihuahua has canine cognitive dysfunction. This has actually been going on for a couple of years now, but her vet kept giving her all kinds of other diagnoses. My sister's a nurse, though, and knows dementia like nobody's business, so when her chihuahua started getting lost in the backyard and other things, she had a pretty good idea what was going on.

Her vet, however, finally abandoned all the other diagnoses a few weeks ago and said, yes, it's canine cog. dysfunction or, as it's known around here, Doggie Alzheimer's.

I know they suggested she buy all kinds of foods and supplements, but my sister decided the poor girl is ancient anyway, this has been going on at least two years now, the pup's probably the equivalent of a human 100 years old, so let the old girl have fun while she can.

I think how I would handle it would depend on the age of the pup. I agree with my sister's decision because this chihuahua - actually, dachsaund and chihuahua - must be 17 years old at this point. But, were I to detect similar in Yogi, I would definitely go for meds, changes in diet, etc.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yes, our dachshund Hansel had alot of the symptoms-

The worst thing was that he took to waking up eveynight at 2am and barking at nothing and for no reson we could see- Paul and I were walking around like zombies for lack of sleep until I built him a comfy sleeping place where we couldn't hear him.

He would spend long periods of time staring at walls, and would get confused about where the door to come into the house from the backyard was.

The only up-side was that Hansel, who was a biter and could be downright vicious at times, seemed to forget that he was a bad boy the last year of his life. He became positvely sweet, and would cuddle up with Murray on the couch and sleep with him.

He died of congestive heart failure at the age of 16- we just accepted what was happening to him and kept him comfortable and happy to the end.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
murraysmom, that's exactly what my sister's pup has been doing. She gets lost, she stares into space, she seems to get confused about normal every day activities. It's very pronounced in her now, but it's been going on for two years that I can recall.

Your pup sounds exactly like my sister's. ChiChi has been a holy terror, until this.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our sweet kitty Sunshine developed some cognitive dysfunction late in her life. Her specialty was putting her head in the toilet and howling around 2AM every day. The sound was so magnified it sounded like we had a bobcat in the bathroom. We lost her when she was 20, and despite the weirdness seemed pretty happy overall.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point, Spencer's vet is not concerned enough to recommend dietary changes, meds, etc. I don't think I could do a whole lot in the way of diet anyway, because Spencer is so allergic and is limited to what he can have. murraysmom, I am looking at it like you said - my goal is to make him as happy and comfortable as possible. He for the most part seems happy and is often just a big goofball. Some of his behaviors are amusing, though I may not say that if he starts waking me up in the middle of the night! My mom has Alzheimer's, I teach little kids and with Spencer's new behaviors, some days I feel like I am drowning in craziness!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm sorry Spencer is having problems. My Maggie Mae (ATB) suffered from this. It seemed to occur out of nowhere. She would be in the family room with us watching TV and wonder into another room, then within seconds stand in the middle of that room and howl over & over again looking side to side. As if she was trying to find us. She was deaf at that point so we'd get up and walk in the room and stand in front of her so she could see us, her tail would wag as if to say "Oh, there you are"! She also had her days and nights mixed up. She'd sleep literally all day and pace and pant all night. THe last year of her life she had to go out every 2 hours. We couldn't medicate her because of heart disease so we took shifts, taking care of her. It was extremely stressful but she still had quality of life. She knew everyone, still had a great appetite, loved short walks, car rides, belly rubs so we did it till the end.

I sure hope you make some adjustments to settle Spencer down. I just love your boy and know how hard this must be. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to hear of Spencer's problems. I have not been through anything like this with my dogs or cats, but it has to be hard to watch them "go back". It sounds like you have the right idea with keeping Spencer comfortable and safe and hopefully if his symptoms become worse, there is something that he can be given. Question: Did these symptoms develop soon after he started on his anti-anxiety medicine? Clomicalm? Just wondering if it could be a reaction to new RX.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Elmer-n-Button, no I noticed some of the unusual behaviors some time ago. I don't think they are related to the Clomicalm. In fact, he seems to do very well on it. He doesn't have any of the few side effects they say were possible with it. Personally I think his behaviors are due to aging and maybe made worse by the current situation - he is alone for the first time in his life. He had been spending his days while I work with my mom, but we recently started her in adult daycare so she is gone during the day Monday-Friday. I have a neighbor who lets Spencer out once a day and spends a little time with him each day, but it's still a huge change for him and he doesn't like it. It's a tough situation. He seems to be doing a little better, but I am a teacher and am about to get 2 weeks off. I am afraid he will get used to having me home & have a setback when I return to work in January.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts