Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a community closer to home as everyone seems to be inthe USA on here. Have new bassets and would appreciate all the help i can get. We got these fellas quite unplanned so we are really new to them and this. Any advice or help much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi BrenIrishBassets
I'm just across the Irish Sea from you!

Unplanned Bassets.... how lucky for you!!! How many fellas have you got, what are their ages and how much Basset Hound knowledge or experience have you got?

From a lifelong love and ownership of these unique dogs, that are so full of character, I would say you have to have a lot of patience because hounds are very stubborn and have minds of their own and they make good, fun companions, especially if you have twp or more because they love company of other Bassets and people and they are the gentlest of pets for children and babies.

If you haven't experienced them before, some advice I would offer you is to keep them off the stairs, because going down stairs there is too much weight on those little front legs, especially as they can weigh upwards of 65 - 75lbs and it can cause joint problems and it's not good for their backs either also don't let them jump off anything that is higher than themselves.

Keep an eye on their ears... and keep them clean and dry! Because of the length and position of their ears, air doesn't circulate very much and they can get warm and moist which can encourage bacteria and make them smelly. I have some cleaning fluid I get from my vet and I also use ear wipes now and again.

PS: I'm sure others will offer you advice but that's a few things to start with!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There are other international members so you are not alone! I am from the U.S. though but welcome you regardless :D Bassets are bassets wherever they live... I can't wait to hear your stories!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, we've had a couple of Irish members and a lot of UK and Australian members. Our Christmas card exchange is led by a Belgian and we have a pretty good Scandinavian contingent. I'm in the US but I welcome you anyway. Bassets are so internationally nuts, you know?
Perhaps you could Google basset clubs and insist that it only return results from .ie or .uk. That might help keep you closer to home

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi bren
i am living in ennsiskillen co fermanagh, i have a male basset, stanley, he is a handfull , but good criac also.. what part of the emeald isle are you from .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow and thanks

Thanks all of you for the welcomes and advice. Its been a blast sof ar and we can see it will be a long road ahead but a fun one. Any way i will stay on here and please be patient with me and my questions its for the good of the hounds.
GRMMA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts