Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old basset, Barney absolutely loves getting ahold of empty(or full) water bottles! If he sees one on the counter he will bark at it but he usually counter cruises and knocks it onto the floor. I think he does it for the loud annoying noise they make when he chews on them or pounces on them, I have to be careful and watch him because he will eat the plastic lid :? He likes trotting around the house with his water bottles. He also loves jumping up and down and the bed and barking...not sure what he is barking at except the mattress, he will do it till he is panting!!! My husband calls it "Barneys funtime jumping adventures" :lol: Also when he is in the backyard digging one of his many holes he does the same thing, barking and pouncing and I swear he likes to eat dirt!!! He will come back in with dirt all over, including dripping from his gums......I sometimes see him in the backyard flinging dirt around with his mouth. He also likes to drink water from the bathtub, not the big fresh bowl I put out but the slow drip from the bathtub, I have spoiled him and when I hear him in the tub I will turn it on a little for him. Also when he is hungry he flips his bowl over with his paw over and over and over...eventually he will just give up and sit there with his paw in the bowl whining at me....Hounds are quite the characters, I also have 2 beagles and the male(Dexter) takes anything in the house that is on the floor and carry it out to the backyard. It is usually shoes,socks,kitchen towels and anything else that isnt nailed down. I think he gets upset when we pick everything up because the next day when I get home from work the backyard is full of new things he found and drug out there. He also has to do this when anyone comes home, he will greet you with whatever he found and try as you might to pry it from his mouth he won't let ya...off to the backyard!! Luckily my other beagle (Angel) is a sweet old 11 year old lady who likes to sleep alot!! Just wondering if anyone else's dogs have these sort of strange rituals? :roll:

·
Registered
813 Posts
He sounds perfectly normal to me! :D They think they're head of the entertainment committee and it's their job to keep you busy, busy, busy! One of George's favorite things is to toss his kibble around and chase it. He hides waffles and drags them out days later if we're having something for supper he doesn't like -- and then sits down and chews on them mournfully: "You're STARVING me!!!" And in spite of having free access to the couch and chairs, plus his own floor pillow, he digs and digs at rugs until he has them in a bunch and lays down on them -- only to get back up moments later and go to the couch. They're odd and quirky, which is why we love them so much.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie & her late best friend Deuce the Doberman loved to eat dirt together. I could never figure it out. Both were well-fed, and had treats & toys. I think it is a habit. Since Deuce went to the bridge, Sadie rarely does it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Both mocha and Beldin love bottles of any sort as well... empty pop bottles or water bottles or anything shapes remotely like a bottle ... etc etc

They actually toss it to themselves (they'll grab hold and flip it up into the air ... one time a bottle came down and bonked Beldin on the head when he did that... well THEN the game was on! *lol* Toooooo funny).

Anyhow they also both like to eat dirt!

They'll walk around the back yard ... noses to the ground and give a little scratch here or there and when they find a particularly "nummy" spot they'll scratch a little and then EAT the dirt!?!?

Hounds.

*hehe*

My mom says she thinks they're teaching HER dog, Bella (a chow shepperd cross) to do the same because apparently she came in with a muddy nose the other day!

My mom kind of sighed and said "She used to have such good manners!" *lol*

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like Daisy, with a few variations. Daisy loves empty water or pop bottles, and plastic cups, too. She can twist the lids off gallon jugs of water somehow...

I haven't caught her eating dirt, as such, but she loves to dig in the dirt box with my boys (it used to be a sand box but the sand is long gone). She love trash, though, esp. tissue, like Kleenex. She also likes to lick the inside of the dishwasher door. :roll:

She has a glove of DH's that she carries around, she buries it, digs it up, carries around and re-plants. She never really chews on it, so I guess it's a "treasure", like the last big raw-hide bone I gave her. She just hides it and moves it around the house and gets upset if anyone messes with it.
She doesn't hide her bone very well, she thinks we can't see it if she leaves it in my son's room next to his toy box. :lol:

Also, the bathtub thing...Daisy likes to lay on the bathmat when I bathe. She'll curl up there and sleep, after drinking some warm soapy bathwater. She also hops in the tub afterwards and licks the sides of the tub (yucko).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Winston loves to chew on bits of woods and my hubby splits our own firewood on the backyard. So we get all these little pieces that both him and Henrietta love to chew on. It's a good entertainment for both of them.

And when there is a piece of the wood stuck between his teeth or between the gum/jaw, he will make funny faces to try to get it out.

Oh yes, and he loves chewing on rocks too!!! he doesn't eat it, just chew it :?: What's up with that?

·
Registered
987 Posts
bottles and dirt

Lily loves, empty 2 liter bottls or 20oz bottles or whatever kind of plastic bottle she can get. I usually let her have them supervised, of course.
She loves to dig up worms in the back yard. She is also a master at digging up tree roots. I'll be lucky if any of our trees survive the next hurricane. Wish I had her a couple of years ago when we took out a bunch of trees and need to get the stumps out, she would have been great!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper,Dolly and Patty also love water bottles,2 liter bottles,anything plastic. They don't eat dirt but copper does dig up roots,sticks and anything else he can find to chew on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts