Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam constantly gets his ears wet and chews on pig ears and rawhide which form a "crust" of dirt and stuff on the inside of his ears. I have to soak them in warm water to get them clean every 3 or 4 days. Once they are clean they look red and irritated. Is there anything I can put on these raw-looking spots to ease the irritation? I stopped using soap about a week ago and just use warm water, but it does take a little scrubbing to get them clean but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't want to put something on them that is poison because I know some of it will eventually end up in his mouth!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rusty gets "crusty" ears from dried slobber from chewing on things too. I use his sledding blade to lightly brush that crust off his ear. I don't do it too hard just enough to get the crust off. It works well.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Along the same lines, I use a Furminator on my dogs' ears, gently. Works like a shedding blade. :) Best to use it when the ears are dry.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When Murray eats his food or chews on dentabones I slip a 'snood' over his head to hold his ears back. I took an old pair of pantyhose and cut the legs off- there's enough elastic in the material to hold it on. This way his ears are never soaking in his food or drool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts