·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Anyone for a walk?

- What was that?

- Did I hear walk?

- You're really mean it?

- EMMA! We'll be going for a walk! EMMMMMAAAA!

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can't even say the words, "walk" or "ride" until I'm absolutely ready to leave the house because Francis will drive me to distraction as I'm trying to get ready. He gets so excited and he is completely underfoot until we leave the house. Forget about slapping on any "war paint" (makeup) with him in my tiny bathroom.

·
Registered
714 Posts
OMG, the word "walk" must not be spoken unless I really mean it and am ready to go this very instant!

Dudley gets excited, but Minnie goes completely bonkers! She is underfoot, wiggling, jumping, whining, barking, moving around so much I can hardly get the leash hooked to her collar!

One other thing I've noticed about both dogs, they seem to understand the context in which "walk" is being used by us two-leggers.
If I'm talking about something not involving them; "I went for a walk around town at lunchtime today." no reaction. "Jeannie, do I have time to go on a walk with the creatures before we go out?" BAM! Insane-o-hound syndrome strikes immediately!
I must be giving them some other kind of cue, but I haven't yet figured out what it is.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ours know we're going for a walk even if we haven't said anything. They seem to know the difference between us getting our coats and shoes on to leave and getting them on to take a walk and that's with us not saying that word OR even looking at their leashes!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Reaction indeed!! Crying, whining, barking, runnning in circles, dancing, you name it. My boys know "walk"!! :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine rarely go on walks, so the phrase "Walk" doesn't mean anything to them. Dozer does know "Ride", because he use to ride with me all the time before Digger came along. What really gets them hopping, is opening the drawer that I keep their leashes in. Then they know they are going on a ride or a walk.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You cannot say the words walk or go at my house. Sabian goes balistic. It is like having a 3 year old 2 legger when you mention ice cream! Don't even touch their leashes unless they are going NOW.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our girls know we are taking them out when we say "go get Daisy's necklace" (her collar). She doesn't wear it in the house because she gets skin fold dermatitis on her neck if it's on all the time. All we have to do is pick it up and they both go ballistic :lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ruby doesn't wear her "pearls" or her "jingle-jangle" (collar) in the houe because she scratches too much. So if I pick it up I try not to have it make any noise. That means it's going on her so she'll get excited. I'll hold them in my hand at her level and tell her to "come and put on your pearls". She'll come over and stick her head in! It's real cute!

She'll also get excited if I'm up and dressed real early in the a.m. like her daddy is. And it's even worse if I get my purse! She goes bonkers then.

It's more than just saying the words "walk" or "ride". It's asking "do you wanna.....GO...." then she is a crazed beast. Whether it's "....for a walk...." or "....for a ride...." She gets manic then.

A few years ago we had people over for dinner and everyone was noisy so she want to her bed to get away from the noise and was snoring loudly and supposedly asleep. I asked "who wants ice cream?" and Ruby barked and ran into the kitchen! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts