Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maddie is making me sleepless in seattle. She seems to need to get up and go to the bathroom about 2-3 times a night and then is ready to get up at 5 am (am iam ususally up by6) and she whines and whines and there is no telling her to stop. i get up and let her out and i dont' pet her just let her out, she goes and then i put her right back to bed (we have a little kennel area for her and ryobi,(atticus sleeps in the dinning room away from her) I don't notice that she has to go out as often durring the day. She is getting up ther in age between7 and 9 so not sure if that is part of it, when she gets up then the cats get up and want to play makes for long sleepless nights, we live in a small house and can't get away from the noise (although in Auguast my daughter is getting married so will be able to hid away in her room when i need to get some peace and quite as her room is the furthest from everything. She was use to haveing a doggy door before us and we can't have one because of the cats so not sure if that is it.(although it wouldn't stop her whining at 5 in the am.

anyway sorry for rambeling, was wondering if there were any ideas here, i need some sleep. (I have thought about limiting her water but then what about the other dogs)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
"She seems to need to get up and go to the bathroom about 2-3 times a night"

The first step is to rule out a medical condition
before attempting and behavior mod. UTI and other urinary problems along with diabetes are just the tip of possible medical causes for such a problem.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she just had urine and blood work about a month ago and everything came back fine, but noticed she seem to be drinking more(and diabties did come in mind since we have been through that already with another dog) but since she had her blood work i just don't know.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it isn't medical, what about a doggie door that will only open for her? You can get doggie doors that will only open for the pet(s) wearing a special collar that acts like a key.

Something like this: Doggie Door

You can also purchase extra "keys" for the other dogs if you want.

My aunt had a similar type door for her cat and she loved it.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It might be a good idea to note whether she actually is voiding when she asks to go outside (and if so, how much?) and whether she actually is drinking more than normal.

From Polydipsia and Polyuria in Dogs
The term polydipsia refers to excessive thirst manifested by excessive water intake, which in turn usually leads to polyuria, which is the formation and excretion of a large volume of urine. Polydipsia and polyuria are early signs of several diseases, including:

Kidney failure
  Diabetes mellitus
  Uterine infection (called pyometra)
  Liver disease
  High blood calcium
  Uncommon abnormalities of the pituitary gland
  Inability of the tubules of the kidney to reabsorb water properly (i.e. “nephrogenic” diabetes insipidus

Dogs normally take in about 20 to 40 milliliters per pound of body weight per day, or about 3 to 4 cups of water per day for a 20 pound dog. Anything more than that, under normal environmental conditions, is considered polydipsia.

You should watch your dog for increased thirst and urinations. Some dogs may begin drinking from a dripping faucet in the sink or from an open toilet bowl. However, if you want to determine how much your dog is drinking, allow him only one source of water and subtract the amount left in the bowl after 24 hours from the amount you put in originally. If you determine that your pet is drinking excessively, make an appointment with your veterinarian.
See also Too Much In and Too Much Out: The Problem of Excessive Thirst and Urination.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like good advice has all been said. So sending drool from Tummy Boy. and a hug from me to little one. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts