Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Mattie is not feeling the greatest. She is a 6 year old hound and we have never had a problem like this before... She was fine this morning, I came home from work, let Mattie out and when she came back in she was limping and barely walking... Every since then she has laid around or sit around looking right sad eyed. We felt down her back and around her back legs and nothing she dont wimper or cry or yelp or anything.. Everything seems normal besides her not walking very well. She has shown some signs of feeling better cause she did want to go out back to her fenced in yard and she walked slowly to that and when we brought here back in she walked slowly back to the front of the house.
And as I am typing this she jumped on her own on the couch. Just wondering if anybody has any ideas what could have happen..

We were thinking maybe she got stung by a bee or ??? we just don't know. I will wait and see how she is in the morning before calling vet. She is due for a normal vet check-up in the next couple of weeks so she might just be going in early for that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When a severe change in behavior is noted and you can't see anything physical that would cause the change, the only way to know what's going on is to make a trip to the Vet. We dealt with a bout of lyme's disease which began with sluggish movement which developed in refusing to move at all but like I said, only a vet can diagnos. Glad you are already thinking about taking Mattie to the Vet

What's a matta Mattie, not feelin' well? hope you feel better soon!

Sending hugs and get well kisses!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww poor Mattie :( It's always worrying to see any of our normally happy hounds looking sad and such a shame they can't tell us what's wrong and only our vets can do that so I hope it will be nothing major.

Get well soon Mattie x

·
Registered
62 Posts
It sounds like the vet should be the first port of call. However once you have an idea what it is, acupuncture could be an answer. The person who we got our rescues from has had Bassets for years, and when her dogs have had problems with their back-end she has had acupuncture performed on them, and claims it is nothing short of miraculous

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody for some of the ideas.. Mattie is walking a little better and she jumps on and off couch fine.. and yesterday evening she was laying down in the yard and next thing you know a stray cat was trying to cross the road and Mattie jumped up and took off at a fast pace after the cat. Then when she saw me looking at her she started walking better then she was. LOL!!

But she is still walking stiff and slow. SO I think here this morning a call to the vet might be in due. I don't think it is in her hips or back cause she has no problem jumping. We are thinking maybe she sprained a ankle or pulled a muscle or something. But I will keep everybody posted on what I find out later on today!! I am hoping for the best but the worst keeps playing through my head..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't take Mattie to the vet, but I did go talk to vet this morning. (Mattie is horrible at the vet!!) And she thinks since Mattie is jumping up and off the couch fine and is eating fine then with it being so hot and dry out that she has cracked one of her paw pads and that it is hurting her. And since Mattie is so big she can't really limp so she is just walking slow and laying down and sitting more then normal. Which before I left to go talk to vet, I saw on Mattie paw she had a spot between her toes. SO.. I am pretty sure the vet is right.. Cause we I came home Mattie got off the couch and met me at the door walked to her fenced in yard and wanted to chase cats and was barking and acting more like herself.

She was just milking me to get extra love and attention yesterday! Which is fine with me. LOL!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used to massage Lucy's paws as she got older, she loved it! Actually she got a doggie massage at least once or twice a week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts