Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
if she is not spayed you can sell her to me and i'll make her a Field Champion!!! if she is not for sale i'll help you make her a Field Champion any way!!! calling them off a hot line is hard,but if they know their name and if when they where young they were taught to come it is easier.i started by giving Ike a treat everytime i called him and he came to me with lots of praise and petting, now when he is in a trial and if he is working a line when he gets into a check area i can call him off about 90% of the time,but i can get him to down all the time when he is near also.

·
Registered
939 Posts
some times there is a fence,but not always. the dogs in some type of hunts are cast but must be able to handle when called or enter the brush where the rabbit maybe in a set waiting.some types people beat the brush to flush the rabbit out and the dogs are placed on the line,the line being where the rabbit ran and it is marked by a spotter with the cry of Tally-Ho!! either way it's fun,your outdoors enjoying nature,good company and other basset hounds,what more could a person ask for. as for how the prey feels,how would feel if you had 2 or more bassets on your scent trail barking and busting through brushpiles disturbing your nice quiet time. the best part is when you get a wise rabbit that has been chased a few times and pulls out all sorts of tricks to get the dogs to lose the trail. i think the rabbits enjoy the fact that they are chased and not caught. now if you want to know how a rabbit tastes...mmm i like mine fried and then baked in some gravy with mashed taters on the side. everything has a place in life,my dog at my feet in front of a nice fire or woodstove and rabbit on the table.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mike said it all. Dean's club is one of the ones that is was talking about that has no fence,the rabbits can come and go at will,but they will stay at the club grounds because of habitat ( brush piles to hide in ) and food,water,etc. Birds of prey and fox will do more damage to the rabbits than any basset ever will. go to this hunt( there is no guns or shooting) it just called that. there is usually a very large turn out for Dean's hunt,the last couple of years the entries were down,but the fun is first class! Food that is great and Basset Hounds up the wahzoo. I going to try to make it again this year,i'll be bringing the Pennsylvania State Champion Open Field winner and the Best in Show winner,the famous Pinehawk's Little Ike. Now that i just bragged him up i just put the jinx on him and all he may do is lick himself and walk the path. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts