Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Moe, is a basset mix pulled from the pound when his time was up. He is definitely not a purebred basset, but I'm not sure what he could be mixed with. Any ideas?

The second pic is a bad picture of him as he started barking at me right when I took the picture, but you can see a side view of him anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
The first picture reminds me of Harley, my mutt (see my profile for pics). He is beagle/corgi/basset/??. I think you may have what my family calls a "pure mutt", meaning that he did not have 2 purebred parents but rather 1 purebred/1 mutt or 2 mutt parents.

I would say yours is 50% basset for sure though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kirska, he does have the same sort of look as Harley (cute boy, btw). I also think he could just be a very mixed mutt. Smitte, I never considered spaniel, interesting.

I asked the question because someone asked me if he was a beagle/basset mix, and I just don't see that, especially with his size. He weighs about 65 lbs. I don't really care what he is, I love him!

·
Registered
297 Posts
For some reason the longer hair was reminding me of a springer or some other spaniel type mix.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Moe looks a bit terrier 'ish.... but this terrier has his ears lifted up a bit
otherwise they would bit flatter to his head!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I will have to get a picture of my sister's in-laws dog, it is a basset/australian shephard mix and so cute! He has a short legged basset body and a totally different head. He is all white with black spots. We went out to visit my sister a couple weeks ago and he came over to say hi. He thought Cannoli was hot stuff but she was not to keen on him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
WOW, he sure looks like my Midgie right down to the curl of his tail! How old is he? We found Midgie at the SPCA, she's 7 now. She's on the right in this pic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, he sure looks like my Midgie right down to the curl of his tail! How old is he? We found Midgie at the SPCA, she's 7 now. She's on the right in this pic.

She's a cutie!

We think he is about 3 or 4, but we don't know for sure. I pulled him as a foster from the shelter the day he was to be euthanized. Unfortunately, he has aggression issues with strangers that make him too big of a liability to adopt out, so he stayed with me. He showed a lot of physical signs of neglect (worn down teeth from chewing a wire enclosure, no socialization, the longest nails I have ever seen, a chronic skin infection, etc), so I know he didn't have the best start, but he is getting better with training.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I pulled him as a foster from the shelter the day he was to be euthanized..

My Chihuahua has a similar story! I adopted her the day before she was scheduled to be euthanized. I realized as I was holding her and filling out paperwork that she was pregnant. When I asked the shelter staff they expressed disbelief, but after we examined her it was obvious she was. They told me they'd understand if I wanted to back out of the adoption, but no way! I found out later that their policy is to pretty much euthanize pregnant dogs as soon as they come in because they are so strapped for resources and can't handle more puppies. So my little girl was lucky on several counts! The only reason they hadn't realized she was pregnant was that she was so emaciated the pregnancy merely filled her out a little. She gave birth to two puppies 2 days after I adopted her.

·
Registered
973 Posts

My Chihuahua has a similar story! I adopted her the day before she was scheduled to be euthanized. I realized as I was holding her and filling out paperwork that she was pregnant. When I asked the shelter staff they expressed disbelief, but after we examined her it was obvious she was. They told me they'd understand if I wanted to back out of the adoption, but no way! I found out later that their policy is to pretty much euthanize pregnant dogs as soon as they come in because they are so strapped for resources and can't handle more puppies. So my little girl was lucky on several counts! The only reason they hadn't realized she was pregnant was that she was so emaciated the pregnancy merely filled her out a little. She gave birth to two puppies 2 days after I adopted her.
I find that so sad because puppies are always adopted so fast when given the chance. They never last more than a few days in shelters, especially small breed ones. You saved quite a few lives that day :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That's wonderful! Good for you for taking her and her puppies in!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My first thought was Akita because of the tail. A good looking dog, tho!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts