Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I brought our 9wk old basset home this past Friday (see previous post).

She is suffering from what seems to be extreme separation axiety. It breaks our heart to listen to her whine and go through this.

Are there any tricks to help her through this time, especially at night? She is sleeping in her own bed, in another room, fyi.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When I bring puppies home, they sleep in a crate at my bedside. When they wake up and whine, I put a hand on the crate door, which seems to comfort them. Having them at bedside also lets me know when they need to use the bathroom at night, which helps quite a bit with potty training.

[ February 12, 2006, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I think it's natural for a young pup who has never been alone before to not want to be alone.
Having no puppy experience myself, I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions that'll help.

If she's still having a problem when she's older, though, you might want to try COMFORT ZONE. It's like a glade plug-in except that instead of scented oil, it has something that supposedly simulates a mother-dog's pheremones. It's supposed to have a calming effect on dogs with anxiety-based behaviors, such as whining, chewing, barking, etc. We bought one for Tally, who suffers from terrible separation anxiety when we leave her alone, even for short periods of time. Without COMFORT ZONE she's more likely to whine, shake, bark, and piddle uncontrollably when we leave the house. She seems to be alot less anxious when we use it... she still hates to be alone but she handles it better.

I don't know if you could use COMFORT ZONE, along with other calming and training techniques, to ease your puppy's anxiety but maybe someone else would know?

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
All pups cry at night when they are on their own for the first time, you just have to let them get used to it. Opus yowled for two weeks non stop at night when we got him first. He slept in the kitchen right by the hot press, warmest place in the house, but because we were not there is was a tragesdy! But after the two weeks he got used to bed time and has never given us a moment's trouble about it since. I don't agree with having pups in the bedroom at night, unless you are planning on letting your dog do this for life. I think get them into their routine as soon as possible and it cuts out a lot of hassle in the long run.
Good Luck, Arlene and Opus.

B

·
0 Posts
We kept Byron in the bedroom when he was a baby (he's 9 mos. now). He would cry, but would settle in quickly. We recently moved him into the kitchen for bedtime and He's doing fine.

If your pup whines and cries when you leave the house, you might try to stuff a Kong toy with treats and peanut butter. Whenever I leave, I stuff a Kong for Byron and give it to him right before I walk out the door. He is so busy trying to get the treats out, he doesn't realize I left. It works great for him! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I did as Betsy described, and I think it helped with housebreaking tremendously.Murray was in a small crate by my side of the bed at night. If he needed to go potty he whined because he didn't want to wet his blanket- I would wake up and take him out- so he learned that if he signalled, he would be taken out.That carried over to daytime, and he was housebroken in no time. So besides giving the pup the comfort of his pack, this method can help with housebreaking.(he sleeps downstairs now with our other dog, so starting this way doesn't mean he'll have to sleep in your room forever)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts