Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I need to get my basset on a good ear cleaning schedule, she was in for spaying recently and I asked the vet to look at her ears and clean them. I really got chewed out for her ears not being clean enough, she had hard wax in there. I was using some stuff a different vet sold me; and I had a feeling I wasn't doing well with it, which is why I asked the new vet to have a look.

The problem is, I'm scared to death that if I use a swab, I'll get in her ear too far and hurt her. On the general discussion board, I found a recipe for Blue Ear Cleaner, which I think is what our vet uses, as it's blue and smells strongly of alcohol. I always see him use it and think, boy, that works pretty slick....

How can I tell I'm going in her ear far enough to be effective without doing damage?

TY!

BarbR

[ October 25, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
When is your next vet appointment? If it's soon, ask them then how you;ve been doing and what they'd suggest.

When i first got Biscuit, he would NOT let me clean his ears --- or trim his nails, for that matter. So, for a year or so, I was taking him to a groomer or even to the vet to get his ears cleaned. I know I took him in at least once a month --- but it might have been more like every other week.

It only cost $8 at the time, and was well worth it.

When i finally figured out how to do it myself, i never ever used swabs. I always used a kind of rough cloth (Biscuit L-U-Ved that, but YMMV :) ). I don't remember what first began using, although i suspect --- well, danged if I can remember.

I do know i finally began mixing boric acid with alcohol --- Biscuit seriously L-U-Ved that! But i wouldn't recommend it for everyone. His ears were very oily and it's very humid here, so it worked for us.

I used to have to sneak up under his ear --- don't know how to explain, except if I lifted his ear, he'd have a ninny fit. :roll: So I'd sneak my hand under and into the ear, and use a cloth over a finger to clean. You can stick your finger in fairly deeply without worrying.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for the info! :) Daisy's next appt. is Monday, the 31st. I thought about taking her to have her ears cleaned regularly, it's $13 a shot though. Her ears seem oily, but that may be the medicine I've used on her leaving residue. I have noticed it when I put her medicine in, it's yucky. She no longer minds the medicine as she gets a nice ear-rub before the meds go in, and a nice ear-rub afterwards. :D

TY!
BarbR

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Biscuit looooved old washrags! Watch her ears over time --- I was amazed to realize just how oily Biscuit's ears were. Once I did, though, it kind of determined how I cleaned them.

$13 isn't too bad, not really. Maybe take her in maybe once a month for a while, and try to do it yourself the rest of the time --- you should be able to figure it out in just a few months.

Good luck --- ears can be a pain figuring out, but once you do, the pups usually really enjoy having them cleaned.

A

·
0 Posts
I use unscented baby-wipes for His Majesty's ears and they work great without overdrying. (Think of what else they're made to clean and where!!) I also use old facecloths when I run out of the wipes but I like the results I get with the wipes better. Francis adores getting his ears cleaned, he always comes running to me when I get the box out of the closet. I do it about every 4-5 days and we've not once had an ear infection in 6 1/2 years.

[ October 25, 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hi Ginny- I've used Dermapet on Murray for a long time - the vet suggested it after his ears starting getting really red and sore using other things that I tried- for dogs like Murray who seem to react to everything on the planet it's great- I use it once each week, and we haven't had yeast problems or infections since I've used it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I use baby wipes -- my fingers can't go in far enough to be a problem, so I can swab without a chance of doing harm. I also use a 50/50 blend of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. Just squirt some in the ear(about 2cc) rub it in and watch for flying ears as your dog shakes. The alcohol helps dry the ear canal and the vinegar changes the ph retarding bacteria and yeast growth.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for all the responses! I did try cleaning her ears a bit last night, she didn't mind a bit when I put my finger in there (with a rag over the tip!). In fact, she seemed to love it, pointing her nose straight up and grunting appreciatively! I might also get some baby wipes and see how that she likes that, I would think that would work just as well and smell nice, too. :D

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your words of experience!

BarbR

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I agree with Dean's procedure, except I use a 3 to 1 solution of alcohol to vinegar.

·
Registered
905 Posts
BarbR.Better with the unscented baby wipes.

T

·
0 Posts
Yep, Twinkie likes her ears cleaned. Lots of moaning and groaning. We call it "spa night." She comes right over for it. I use a wash the vet gave me and cotton balls. Put in the wash, squoosh it around, wipe out the ears with cotton balls wrapped around my fingers (I can get a little deeper that way). She loves it.

Janet 'n Twink.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am probably in the minority but I use regular Q-Tip cotton swabs. I use the solution that the vet sell (sorry don't have it with me so I don't know the name) but I am sure it is an overpriced alcohol solution. Emma loves to have this as it is just another form of attention and it relaxes her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
are vet gsave us some solution to just squirt into his ears and then rub his ears around to get it to setlle in, sprocket loves it, he shakes his ears afterwards and every1 runs for cover, buts good fun and he's always very appreciative

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are lots of recipes and products, but one thing can make this more pleasant for the dog (our breeder recommended this)...warm the solution in the microwave (but NOT TOO HOT) to get it to body temp or slightly more. Would YOU want cold solution poured in YOUR ear canal??!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts