Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well we discovered that our lowrider is prego about two weeks ago and I think she is further along than we thought. We have had her five weeks and her stages seem to be beyond that. The vet was not much help on due date. Here is where I need the help. I have only dealt with chows in the past for liters and that was about 6 years ago or so. Is there anything that I need to do to help her or watch for as we near birth and during birth? I will say her milk is fully in and her temp this am was 99.6. Any help will be great thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you go to the conformation and breeding section..you might find some answers there. Sorry, i don't know anything about breeding/birthing...good luck!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd suggest reading a book on breeding so you could ask some more specific questions. Cyberhound really isn't the place to coach you through this whelping. It would be great if you knew of an experienced breeder that could help you get the bitch and pups through this safe and sound.

Make sure you have a veterinarian that you know is going to be on call for you should she need a C-section. I know someone who found out too late that their vet didn't do c-sections and ended up paying $3000 at the emergency clinic. Also make sure you either have the cash/credit or set up payment arrangements ahead of time.

Don't mean to sound harsh about this but breeding is serious business. So start doing some reading. Contact some breeders for hands on help and then come back and ask some specific questions so the knowledgeable breeders on Cyberhound can give you some helpful advice.

Oh, did your vet advice an x-ray so you have some idea of how many puppies you're dealing with?

Keep us posted on how she's doing,

Barbara

·
Registered
773 Posts
Barb's advice is dead-on. An ultrasound will tell you how many pups and just when they are due. It's worth the $$$$ in any pregnancy, but particularly this one. Not all vets are experienced in whelping, so as Barb suggested, do some looking around for one who knows what you can expect and is willing to be there in an emergency. If you find a breeder in your area, they should be able to guide you toward a good vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses. we did not know that she was pregnant when we took her in so all of this is unexpected. i will try to find a breeder local but she is due this week so not sure i have time to do that or even read a book. just thought that since i do not know this breed that someone who has a basset hound that already had pups could help give some ideas on what to expect. thanks again ill figure it out.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've never dealt with a pregnant basset, but I have read scary stories about them here on Cyberhound. If it were me, I'd find a good vet immediately, someone who you can contact 24 hours a day and/or who has a 24 hour emergency animal hospital. Really, that should be your priority right now.

I don't mean to be alarmist - well, okay, I do - but you really don't want to try and go this alone. Chances are, everything will be fine but, from what I recall, when it goes bad for a basset, it goes *really* bad, so you need back-up in the form of medical help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Probably your best bet would be to find the Basset Hound club nearest you, explain the situation to them and see if there is a breeder that will be willing to help you. You could also try a Basset Rescue, as they often have to deal with pregnant bitches, so probably some of their members are experienced whelpers as well.

I'd say the problems you're most likely to encounter are a stuck puppy (which would likely need a c-section) especially since she's so small and you have no idea what she was bred with, or possibly primary or secondary inertia. An x-ray would definitely be handy, so you have an idea of how many pups to expect, or at the very least she should be examined by the vet afterwards to make sure they have all been delivered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts