1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see article:
Harrisburg poised to become first PA city with anti-tethering law

Quote:
A Harrisburg City Council committee yesterday approved an ordinance that would make it illegal to leave a dog outside for extended periods of time, The full council is expected to consider the proposal at its May 14 meeting.
Councilman Brad Koplinski, who proposed the bill, said its language states that a dog cannot go out for a "period of time longer than is reasonable to perform a task. Ostensibly, that would mean taking a bathroom break.
"It gives animal control officers a lot of leeway," said Koplinski. "This isn't an effort to go after every instance of someone leaving their dog out for an hour, but to go after owners for whom leaving a dog outside is a form of neglect."
The bill also restricts tethering during period of inclement weather, including extreme heat (over 90 degrees) and cold (below 32 degrees) and forbids the use of choke collars and thick chains.

Koplinski said he has been discussing the issue with Central Pennsylvania Animal Alliance for several years and since the state has failed to pass a statewide tethering ban decided to move forward with a city ordinance.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
"It gives animal control officers a lot of leeway,"
and there lies the problem and guaranteeing selective enforcement. For example at field trials most dogs are tether for much longer than this time frame is tethering inferior to crating as the alternative I don't think so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in a chainfree/no tether city. I actually really like the law. For days I used to pass by this house where there was a basset hound puppy tied up to an old worthless dog house which didn't even have a door, just 3 wooden pannels and a roof. Everyday I passed by, I thought about taking the dog and giving him a real home. Finally animal control took him for a day to show them the neglect they were performing.
Nowadays he spends his days on the porch on a dog bed.

I've also had my neighbors mean boxer mix be on a tether and jump the fence and almost hang herself to death. Luckily her fear was bigger than her bite that day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our town is trying to pass some ordinance about not leaving dogs tethered for a certain period of time and in certain types of weather.

Georgette often goes out on a trolley for up to 4 hours at a time. It's part of her daily routine. She is very nose-controlled and stubborn about commands, so she has to be crated, leashed, or tethered at all times.

I agree, though, that prolonged tethering is not good. My brother's friend (their neighbor) tethered his pit bull mix and left to go on a week-long vacation. The dog was tethered in such a way that it had jumped on top of the doghouse, then tried to jump over the fence from the doghouse rooftop, and hung itself. My brother saw it hanging and had to phone the neighbor. Why someone would leave their dog chained out knowing they'd be gone for days, I do not know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts