Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
As Wendy said, if Duke remains on the med, make sure blood tests are done regularly to check on liver function. Sadie has severe arthritis in her spine. She took Rimadyl for about 1 1/2 years, until her liver showed signs of damage. When that happened, we switched her to a 2nd arthritis med, (can't remember the name off the top of my head) which did not hurt her liver, but it did not relieve her arthritis discomfort. Now, she is on Metacam, which also caused some liver problems, but did wonders for her arthritis. I cannot believe how much better she seems. Because it works so well for her, we decided to keep her on it, along with Denosyl, which helps heal the liver. Her last blood test was good, all liver levels within normal limits.

Spencer takes Rimadyl just for flare-ups of his arthritis. His is milder than Sadie's & he only needs a pill once in awhile. The vet doesn't do regular blood tests on him, because he takes it so infrequently. I think the danger is when they take it daily.

· Registered
810 Posts
Deramaxx - that's the 2nd med that we tried with Sadie. Thanks Toughy, that was bugging me, but I did not feel like going thru old bills just to find the name!

[ January 16, 2006, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: AmyB ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.