Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

Just thought I'd take a few minutes to say hi. I'm in Colorado Springs and I got myself a pup in August. My fiancee used to have a basset hound, and I loved hers so much that I decided I had to have one of my own.

This is Daisy the day I brought her home.

This is Daisy at five months

The first few weeks were very difficult and trying. I live alone and she was just such a handful that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it. I was seriously considering giving her away to my fiancee, or even putting an ad on Craigslist and getting rid of her.

But I stuck it out. She's still a handful, but things are going much better now. She's my baby and I wouldn't give her up for anything.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
She's beautiful. Welcome to the forum. The first few months with Lightning almost did me in, so I know how you feel. Since I too lived alone, he was alone too much and problems ensued. I wound up getting a second basset, Stomps, who was a bit older than Lightning. He not only was company for Lightning, but he was very calm and well-behaved. Some of that rubbed off on Lightning (at least the calmness part). Stomps has since gone to the bridge and Lightning is about 12 years old and a great companion. He can still be a pest, but he's 1000 times better than he was as a pup/young dog. So Daisy will eventually get there--it's just a matter of time and patience. Bassets really should come with a manual.

·
Registered
203 Posts
She is so pretty.
I have to agree sometimes there are a handful when they are puppies. I lived alone to when I had Mattie as a puppy. She was like a new born baby, cause she was up every two hours to go to bathroom. I made the mistake and didn't crate her. But after a couple of months she got better and I could trust or a little bit more. But those first couple of months, I did not want to go home from work (which I only work 4 to 5 hours a night) cause I didn't want to see what mess she had with me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last puppy I had was golden retriever over 20 years ago. I don't remember her being such a handful and being so time consuming. But then, at that time I was in high school and the whole family had a hand in taking care of her.

Housebreaking with Daisy was the main thing. Having to watch her every single minute she was awake in the house just wore me down. Now that she's (mostly) housebroken and pretty much has the run of the house, it's a huge weight off my shoulders.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
She's adorable! Welcome!

~Heather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts