Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wal-mart has recalled the chicken jerky treats that they carry. Apparently they are contaminated with something that can cause kidney failure. They are made in China, of course. We just bought a bag of chicken jerky at Costco this morning, and sure enough it was from China. I threw it out, but Rocky & Sally have already had some. I'm really worried now. I always thought single ingredient treats were safer, but apparently it can still carry bacteria like salmonella. Every body check your treats and make sure they are not Chinese........ :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
We had a bag of those from Costco. I had bought them awhile back, and put them away when all the food recalls came out. Then I got them back out. Tonight I'm throwing them away. I think the FDA should just put an embargo on all Chinese imports. That would send a message.

Are you all aware that the Chinese have cornered the market on vitamins and that the U.S.'s supply of vitamin A mostly comes from China? This is very hard to avoid as it is in so many vitamin enriched foods. We should all examine the things we eat and all of the ingredients that they contain. That will pretty much take all of our time. :blink:

Help! What can we eat???? :eek:

Yeah, here is the article about that. You can view more. Just google Vitamins Made in China.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-chin...1&cset=true

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had a bag of those from Costco. I had bought them awhile back, and put them away when all the food recalls came out. Then I got them back out. Tonight I'm throwing them away. I think the FDA should just put an embargo on all Chinese imports. That would send a message.

Are you all aware that the Chinese have cornered the market on vitamins and that the U.S.'s supply of vitamin A mostly comes from China? This is very hard to avoid as it is in so many vitamin enriched foods. We should all examine the things we eat and all of the ingredients that they contain. That will pretty much take all of our time. :blink:

Help! What can we eat???? :eek:

Yeah, here is the article about that. You can view more. Just google Vitamins Made in China.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-chin...1&cset=true[/b]
Elmer & Button, we checked all of our chicken jerky treats and every single brand was from China. We pitched everything - about $40 worth. We could not find a single chicken jerky made in the US, which is too bad. Sally has food allergies and we prefer to give her one ingredient treats whenever possible. I would be willing to pay more for US made ones, but apparently there are none to be had. I certainly read all the fine print now after so many recalls.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I bet you could make your own if you had one of those food dehydrators. You can find them at yard sales occasionally. Then I would assume you could just slice chicken thin, and dry it. Beef would be easy to do, too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet you could make your own if you had one of those food dehydrators. You can find them at yard sales occasionally. Then I would assume you could just slice chicken thin, and dry it. Beef would be easy to do, too.[/b]
Great Idea! I'll give it a try and let everybody know if it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts