Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snoopy went for his annual health check and vaccination booster tonight.

He now weighs in at exactly 50 lbs.

As always, there were dramatics. He sat down outside the vet office, and wouldn't go in. I had to get behind him and push... thank god for lino floors! And when he got on the vet table, he lifted his paw up for the vet lady to check. He had pano for the first 14 months of his life, so he seems to connect the vets table with having his paws checked. He likes having his paws checked.

But other than that, he was pronounced fit and healthy,... but needs his teeth cleaned. I came home armed with a tube of chicken flavoured toothpaste, and now have to introduce teeth cleaning into his routine. He's NOT impressed!

Does anyone have good suggestions on teeth?

·
Registered
511 Posts
The last time my two went in for a check up, the vet asked me if I cleaned their teeth. I said no, they just get dog biscuits as treats. He couldn't believe it, because their teeth were so white.
I know some people don't like what's in them, but I buy Walmarts brand dog biscuits. I switched to PetSmarts brand, because they were bigger, but then I noticed Dozers teeth were building up with tarter. I just bought another bag from Walmart, and after a week, his teeth are cleaner.
I assume there are some better higher priced national brands out there, but my two go through about 10 pound bag of biscuits a week.
I should also mention that they have several real beef bones that they chew on too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I brush Spencer's teeth daily. I won't say he likes it, but he tolerates it. I started when he was young, just using toothpaste on my finger & then used the finger brush & now use a regular toothbrush. He seems to like the chicken toothpaste - tries to lick it out of the tube!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I believe it all depends on the dog of course. My old dog Lil' Bit (ATB 6/23/06) hated the toothpaste and it made him puke so we gave up. Lily tolerates it and I've yet to try it with Gibbs. Gibbs has to go in for a professional cleaning in April. I'm sure it will cost me more money than if his previous owners would've kept up with his teeth. The vet told me you basically have about 10-15 seconds to do what you have to do and get out. Good luck! I'll be right there with you trying to reintroduce this habit to my 2 on Sunday.

~Heather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts