Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Friends
It has been many many years since i been on this forum. first, good news! i'm still here and kickin'!! I am now 12 yrs old. and I look very different than my puppy pics. finally figured out how to log back in and write a post. this forum looks super different and very nice and updated! thought i should give an update here, esp in case any basset has to deal with what I did. hopefully not! but disc disease does affect basset hounds.

so... i wuz a pretty active basset hound, trained in agility and other basset performance events. i am a smaller/skinnier basset who likes to run real fast, i climbed A-frames automatically at a dog park when i wuz one year old. so the person put me in agility. i did agility from age 3 until age 11, when my injury happened. on the one hand, i think agility and running has kept me fit my whole life. on the other hand, agility prob does stress the back a little bit. hard to say what is better/worse. but i'm glad to still be alive at 12.

about a year ago, (this is another good thing for basset owners to know)-- i wuz eating outside with the peeples and I put my paws up on the seat, wanting to get up. that is improper restaurant etiquette so the person pushed my chest down. apparently that wuz a big mistake!! she compressed my spine (think of the basset body like an accordion, ya don't want to press inward, cuz it compresses the discs) and one of my discs blew up! well, officially, it's called ANNPE (Acute Non-Compressive Nucleus Pulposus Extrusion). basically the jelly inside my disc got pushed out and hit my spinal cord directly (ouch! it wuz a big ouch!!)-- causing bleeding, inflammation, pain, bruising of my spinal cord, some blood vessels were broken in the area-- and then it bounced back in place.

physically, i yelped very loud and then my back wuz bent 90 degrees and kind of "frozen" in place. I give this descriptor becuz the more common 'slipped disc' and 'going down in the rear' is clinically very similar. Disc impinging on nerve, etc. in fact, that's what they thought it wuz initially and treated me as such. basically, my left leg wuz paralyzed and right leg wuz somewhat paralyzed. i also couldn't pee or poo for a coupla dayz.

the timing of everything wuz bad. it wuz a Thursday night going into Labor Day weekend, which is a long weekend holiday. becuz i could still somewhat pull myself around and walk a little bit, no one wanted to hoppitalize me for the long weekend and then the soonest Neurologist could see me would be Tuesday. it would cost lotsa $$ to be in the hoppital all that time from Thurs-Tues just sitting around.

i went to my main vet ER and wuz disappointed cuz despite all the pains (i'm not a howler but i wuz shifting and moving and in alot of pain) after 1 hr 45 min of not seeing the vet and asking a coupla times to be seen, we decided to leave an go to the specialty vet ER. figuring that main vet would refer us to specialty (Neurology) anyway. the specialty vet ER emptied my bladder for me with a catheter and gave me some steroids and IV pain meds. and sent me home with a frozen right-angle spine. my basset poppa wuz angry, so we called back and what they said wuz, "You need to see a Neurologist ASAP." In Sept 2021 still in the pandemic and shortage of vet help, they said "our soonest appt is end of November." Wait 3 months to get my frozen spine fixed? what???? (to be continued, i see there is some limit here)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2: so I needed to be evaluated by a doggie neurologist (ie. in the doggie world, neurologists are also neurosurgeons, who would do spine surgery), we were instructed to call everywhere to find one. everyone who had appts available, couldn't get in for 2-3 months. how to see a neurologist then? then they said, in order for the neurologist to see you, it's best to come in through the ER as an emergency. then they might keep you and the neurologist will see you. with the long weekend, many were not in anyway, they had taken a long weekend. we went to the ER late Thursday night, hoping to see a Neurologist in the morning, but were sent home. later, they instructed us to come back Friday and try again. so.... if you are counting, this is our 4th ER trip. this time the ER doc saw me, the neurologist saw me and put their recommendations thru the ER. they said i need an MRI and then probably need disc surgery to repair the disc. however, that neurologist cannot see me or work on me until next week and he urged us to look for something sooner during the long weekend.

as we were driving home, we tried calling UC Davis the veterinary academic center nearby. we had already called them a few times, and they had no room and said don't come (it's a 2 hr drive away). finally we called again and this time they said we had some discharges from the hoppital, you can come now. This was late Friday night now, after 4 ER trips! so we drove the 2 hrs and I ended up staying in the hoppital for a week.

the nice vet resident explained that things would need to be set up for me and we finally understood why it wuz so difficult to see a Neurologist. they basically needed to block off half a day 4-5 hrs for me. the first hour would be to do the MRI, the last 3-4 hrs would be for the spinal surgeree. i would be under anesthesia the whole time for the 4-5 hrs, as they don't want to anesthetize me twice. this on top of how scarce neurologists are, and how full their schedules are already, made it nearly impossible to get care for a disc emergency. good to know for a basset hound. may be different for u, depending on where u live.

the next day, Saturday, wuz the big day for me. we expected my surgeree to be that day. instead, after the first hour, the vet called the peeples and told them-- actually, it is not a repairable herniated disc problem that i had. instead, the MRI showed the more rare/uncommon ANNPE. not a surgical issue that can be fixed by surgeree. we were a bit disappointed at first, as the success rates were higher for herniated disc, rather than ANNPE for me. instead, the treatment is a LOT of IV steroids and a lot of PT. i still got a lot of pain meds so i wuz out of it. but that week, they started me on their intensive PT program and i got lotsa PT including acooopunctures, which i never had before. my bladder function came back (initially, all the ER's had to put catheters in me and at the hospital) and i wuz able to make poops as well. everyone wuz very happy about that!!! i wuz put in a silly harness that i still has to wears today, called a "Help em up Harness:" Choosing the Right Harness
 - Help 'Em Up®

i got PT's weekly for a long times, then every other week. now i am down to once or twice a month and may finish by the end of the year. for PT's, it wuz: underwater treadmill, electro-acooopunctures, laser, vibration plate, lotsa exercises, adequan shots. my right foot is 80-85% function, my left foot is probably 40-60% function. i likes to walks, but my left foot gets very weak when i walks too long. my vet says i am doing good and a successful recoveree overall.

anyway, it has been quite a saga. don't wish it on anyone, but reality is some bassets will have disc problems. thought i'd share here, in case anyone else has to go thru this or something similar. btw they also told me that my MRI showed that many of my discs are at-risk for herniation, giving each disc a 10% chance of a problem. so there you hassit. i gots injured at 11 yrs old, and i turned 12 yrs old this summer.

Cheers, Worm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts