Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you follow my blog you have seen that my garden is rockin this year..and the dog's for the most part have kept out of it. Until tonight...

Annie has had a stomach bug so I have been doing almost hourly poop checks just to see the status of the poop (I know you all know what I mean, I can't be the only one who has done this!!!). So I went out a few minutes ago and was very pleased to watch the conclusion of an almost-very-close to normal poop. Lots of praise from me since this means we may get to sleep through the night, at long last :) As I'm praising her she runs to grab her favorite toy for me to throw for her, so I chuck it and tell her to go get it. She does a wide turn...not toward the toy at all so I follow. In her grubby mouth I found the remains of one of my pickling cucumbers :( I am soo sad that she decided to do that, she was doing soo good. And now I fear that this will set back the progress in the fight against the tummy bug :(

I half-heartedly told her it was a bad thing for her to do...I figure since I didn't actually catch her in the act of picking it and eating it she wouldn't quite understand if I scolded her. Plus, I'm really bad at scolding my furry friends, especially Annie.

The remains of the poor cucumber:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh Annie-- well, i can't say i wouldn't do the same thing when foooood, the best substance on earth is involved. and veggies arrrre good for you....

glad to hear ur tummy's on the mend and that y'all get more sleep nowadays.
--your pal, Worm

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh Annies Mom!!!! could this be part of the tummy bug problem!!!! Has Annie been eating green tomatoes? Paisley got into green cherry tomatoes when she was a pup and the results were a plastering of the kitchen floor with what seemed like a ton of poop --- of course I was at work -- so she used her dainty paws as a trowel and made sure it it was spread out where the sun would hit it and bake it into a poop concrete. I was sure it was Parvo even tho she had all her shots -- a quck call to the vet assured me it was green tomatoe poop!!! Took a lot of scrubbing that day with a brush to get rid of her Picasso.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahahahaha...you said poop concrete! LOL....awesome.

I don't think it was a tomato-based pooping event though because they have been really good about keeping out of the garden this year..up til now. But I guess it could definitely be possible since the number of tomatoes we have growing this year is obscene and I can't possibly know for certain if they were sneaking bites.

The good news is that the cucumber event didn't keep either of us up last night :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Sadie use to pick her own totnatoes in the garden, After the first frost the tomatoes were still red on the wilted vines she would go over and pick one and of course because of the frost turned to mush when she grab one. After this happened a couple time you get the Basset look what the [email protected]#$#@@ did you do to my tomatoes,

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hope Annie's Tum-tum is better today?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I just picked my 1st tomato of the season and had it sitting on the back step. Molly almost got it. Now there are 2 small holes in it from her teeth. Bad Momma for leaving it in her reach!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Annie is much better today :) I think I'll continue my poop quality checks a bit longer just to be sure but for now, she is A-OK :D

I did catch her sticking her snout into the cucumber garden this morning...sneaky little beast. And I also found a yellow tomato on the grass...uneaten but with a few teeth marks in it.

I had already picked 3 pickling cucumbers and made some pickles last weekend. The plan is to be able to pick more so I can make more pickles...unless Annie gets her little snooter on them again.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL yeah we have a garden fence...

Nosey McEatsAlot sends her little friend Hyper McCantShutUp into the fenced area since she can fit between some of the parts of the gate. Hyper then picks a nice almost ripe veggie and hands it off to Nosey. Then the games begin. OR...Nosey shoves her beak into the fenced area and takes whatever she can get.

I wish I could have taken a picture of them running their game yesterday. I caught them in the act though and was able to yell NO. Of course then I go running out and Annie sits by my feet and I melt and can no longer perform any disciplinary duties. I asked her politely to please stay out of the produce...hope it helps LOL.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mc Nosey and McSneaky had me rolling in my chair at work......I can just picture the little schemers at it......we could really make a darn cute show with all are basset buddy antics..from the veggie stealing, to the head crashes, to the cuddling with new friends at the groomers...:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts