Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment complex in Nebraska…and it get COLD here in the winter! I have a neighbor who recently got a basset hound and they leave him outside for hours. Sometimes overnight. He is on a wooden balcony on the 3rd floor, with no place to get away from the elements. I do not have a dog, so I don’t know how cold is too cold for them. He cries and moans all day / night…He just sounds so sad. First, I want to know if, in your opinion, they are neglecting him (I think they are) Secondly, I need to know who to talk to. I called the local Humane Society and they didn’t really do anything to help me or the dog. Let me know if I’m over reacting…or let me know how to help this poor dog! Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Dog particular hunting dogs have for millenium suvived in the cold and outside for their entire lives. However the general need a place to escape the most inclement and inhospitable weather ie dog house etc.

Let me know if I’m over reacting…or let me know how to help this poor dog! Thank you all so much!
You need to investigate who has the legal controling authority of Animal welfare investigation in your Jurisdiction, It varies widly. in some state, countys, and municipalities the goverment hands that over to non-govermental agencys like Humane societies. In others it is part of animal controls jurisdiction and still others it is a police matter. You need to find out

Also try and find out why the dog is being left or forced outside the house so much. Often It is because of a behavioral issue that the owners do not know how to deal with like house soiling or distructive chewing. Finding the resources to help correct the behavior problems often allows the dog to be more apart of the family. In many such cases as well the dog is not longer desired but the owner do not know how to get out from under the situation. Rehoming through a rescue org is often a solution that many have not considered but are open too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think in most states, an owner is considered neglectful if he doesn't provide shelter from the elements, food and water. So, when the dog is out on the balcony, especially at night, does he have somewhere he can go to get out of the wind, rain or snow? Does he have food and water (water, most especially, since he's not out there 24/7 so you can't say he's not being fed)? What is his body condition? Do you have an animal control office? If so, I would keep a record of how often and for how long each time the dog was left on the balcony, and provide that to the animal control officer. If worse comes to worse and the family doesn't respond to requests to keep the dog in (or if you don't feel comfortable talking to them about this), you can always make a noise complaint, even if the dog isn't that noisy. At least it will force the owners to do something with their dog.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can find the Nebraska cruelty laws here:
NEBRASKA CRUELTY TO ANIMALS STATUTES
They are obscure, as they normally are, unfortunately.

This is what would be most relevant to you:
(4) Cruelly neglect means to fail to provide any animal in one's care, whether as owner or custodian, with food, water, or other care as is reasonably necessary for the animal's health;
(1) A person commits cruelty to animals if he or she abandons, cruelly mistreats, or cruelly neglects an animal. Cruelty to animals is a Class II misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class I misdemeanor for any subsequent offense.
Does the dog appear to be underfed? Does he have access to fresh water? If either of these are not true that is strong evidence of neglect.

My recommendation if it's not too intrusive is to take pictures. Photo evidence is more compelling than word of mouth. If you feel that the dog is suffering as a result of neglect I wouldn't hesitate to contact the proper authorities. Personally I feel terrible leaving my dogs out overnight in Texas. I just don't comprehend how someone could think it's okay to leave dogs out in sub-freezing temperatures. Sure, they can survive just like we could, but it's hardly comfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.