Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disparage – Regulate – Prohibit – Monopolize

In one of the most creative scams ever perpetrated on the American public, many of these largely unregulated, retail-style rescues and shelters have managed to gain a competitive market advantage over well-bred and socialized dogs and regulated breeders as well as many traditional shelters and animal control agencies by trading in dogs whose health, temperament and origin are often unknown and whose prior treatment and ultimate sale are neither regulated nor warranted. Unlike their now-dislodged predecessors, today’s dominant pet providers, retail rescues and shelters:
  • are exempt from most animal welfare laws; are exempt from consumer protection laws;
  • are exempt from taxes;are not required to document the source of their dogs;
  • are not held responsible for the health or temperament problems of the dogs they place;
  • market their sales as adoptions, making their motivations appear loftier than other pet sellers;
  • market their dogs’ shortcomings, disabilities and diseases as selling points, even when they will cause their new owners great hardship and expense;
  • fraudulently advertise their mixes and mutts as breeds to get the public in the door;
  • engage in, or are the beneficiaries of, the mass transport of dogs from other parts of the US or from foreign countries;
  • saturate the marketplace with dogs from undisclosed origins including foreign countries, creating a black market in dogs;
  • introduce diseases and parasites to US regions where they never existed or were formerly eradicated;
  • maintain the façade of a traditional animal shelter dedicated to helping local animals in need while often closing their doors to most local animals and importing more attractive ones from great distances - even foreign countries - in order to have a constant inventory of saleable pets; and
  • diminish the production and availability of long-standing breeds through legislation and media campaigns, and by saturating the dog marketplace with out of state and foreign dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
you know I like to weigh in on anything to do with rescues :D:D:D

I have to confess, I used to have a one sided view of dog adoptions, that being rescue dogs were the way to go. period.

I no longer think that.

I have great respect and appreciation for reputable breeders and all of the hard work and dedication it takes to maintain breed standards.

it's a shame when some rescue groups as described in the article either loose sight of their original purpose (or never had a noble purpose). At times this occurs due to the sheer volume of pets they have.

The volunteer shelter where 3 of my beagles came from years ago originally had a rigorous 'vetting' :) process before permitting an adoption.

Over the years, they have changed and now adopt out more like a county shelter.

The breed specific rescues overall seem to maintain that thorough pre-screening that good breeders also do.

reputable rescues and reputable breeders I think have the same goals.

as always, thanks for the reading ;)

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guilt:

shelter workers I’ve met regard animal rights groups with the same hostility as do those of us in the dog fancy. The bad news is that purebred dog breeders aren’t held in much higher esteem. Every time these folks go to work and see a purebred dog in a shelter cage, they blame breeders for having put them there by having bred yet more dogs.
They couldn’t be more wrong.
Animal shelters in the USA have been casting a wide net to fill their kennels for years. According to the US Public Health Service, Chicago O’Hare was the destination airport for 10,125 dogs imported from overseas in 2006, half of which weren’t vaccinated. Scientists from the Center of Disease Control estimated that over 199,000 dogs (38,100 unvaccinated) came into the country through the Mexican border that year alone, and in 2007, one organization in Puerto Rico by itself shipped more than 14,000 strays in seven years to the United States for adoption at shelters. ABC News reported that according to G. Gale Galland, veterinarian in the CDC’s Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, as many as 300,000 puppies a year – most from countries with little or no health safeguards, are being imported to satisfy the demand for puppies at shelters.

And yet the responsible breeder of purebred puppies is to be blamed for the overpopulation at shelters and dumb friend leagues? The same person who runs health screens on the sire and dam, keeps a careful vaccination schedule, tirelessly socializes their puppies and screens potential owners – THAT breeder?
These caring shelter workers, whom I really do admire, are guilty of painting breeders with a very broad brush. They fail to place blame squarely at the feet of owners who were responsible for their dog in the first place, and because it’s a dirty little secret, they likely don’t know that the dogs overcrowding their shelters may not even be from America. And finally, they don’t realize that when that purebred dog is adopted, American born or otherwise, it’s often by someone acting for a breed club.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts