Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

My name is Erin and I'm new to the forums. I adopted a 1.5 year old Basset about 8 months ago. Her name is Ruby.

She has a very active anal gland. I take her to the vet at least once a month to have them expressed. Sometimes a week after visiting the Dr. she is scooting and has overfull glands again. I've tried various premium foods, metamucil, sterilized bone meal supplement, homemade high protein food, pumpkin additive, etc., and nothing has changed the situation. My current vet doesn't see a problem with expressing her glands as often as she scoots, even if that's every week.

Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone gone the surgical removal route? I would really like to avoid that but I'm concerned that diet changes aren't helping at all. If I could figure a way to where she was OK for 6-8 weeks that would be doable. But as it is, expressing once a week or every two weeks just seems out of control to me. It seems counterintuitive that doing such is good for her either.

I appreciate your comments!

Erin

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spencer has had this problem his whole life (he's 12 yrs old now). I was also taking him to the vet weekly, but it was getting expensive and the vet visits stressed him out. So, the vet taught me how to express the glands, and now I do it at home whenever needed. I have 2 neighbors who had their dog's glands removed with no problems, but I've also heard stories about incontinence resulting from the surgery. I wasn't willing to risk it. Expressing them IS gross, but not really difficult. If you do decide to do it yourself, make sure you have the vet teach you, as you can hurt the dog if it is done improperly. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Try adding even *more* fiber. A high protein diet won't provide enough bulk - but a lentil stew diet will.

I went through this with Biscuit - he was always having to have his anal sacs expressed. Then I started making him lentil stews and chicken and rice with lots of veggies, and problem solved. I also made all treats veggies, which I still do.

Metamucil and things like that, I'm not real crazy about. I ran into some problems a year ago because I was taking a liquid mineral supplement ::blush:: :D So someone told me to try Metamucil, and yeegads! :unsure: :blink: I think you'd be better off providing him with some real veggies and, if all else fails - wheat germ!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Higher fiber like biscuit suggested might do the trick- it helped Murray.

The other thing that seemed to really help was adding salmon to his diet (or omega 3 supplements) - when he's taking added omega 3 supplements for skin inflammation due to allergies I've noticed that his anal glands do better too-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts