Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old basset hound who is recently having problem having a bm. I researched it through the internet and came up with ANAL SAC ADENOCARCINOMA. I am very afraid because the ve has told described to us similar symptons. When we spoke to the vet we were unaware of ANAL SAC ADENOCARCINOMA.

My basset basically has a tumor blocking his ability to have a normal bm. We have been giving him laxitives and he still ahs a hard time. BTW they had removed a large tumor/mass from his left side very close to his rectum.

I am afraid there is no cure and he is suffering...

Has anyone here had any experiences with this disease.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So sorry to hear this. I'm afraid I have no experience to offer, but I'm sure others will be able to add helpful advice.

How old is he, and how long has he been suffering these symptoms? How long ago did he have the surgery to remove the large tumor on his left side?

Is he on a special diet to reduce/soften his stools?

You are both in my thoughts...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Does your basset definitely have adenocarcinoma? Is that what the large mass on the left side was?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet did not tell us. Here is the situation. About 3 months ago a mass was removed from his left leg and they left a tube that allowed it to further drain. Then he had a growth on the left "cheek" if you will of his backside that was removed. And in a very short period of time we noticed he couldn't have a bm or eliminate himself. So we gave him laxitives thinking he was consitpated. On friday we took him to the vet for an examine. The vet examined him rectally and said she could feel a large lump within the firt couple of cm. They took xrays and found a growth about 4-6 inches long that was directly underneath his tale bone / spianl cord that apparently is putting pressure, like closing his "tube" if you will. The vet was not sure what she could do. She didn;t know if to refer us to someone else or what. On monday (tomorrow) she will speak to the head doctor about it and advise us on the next step. There is no way for them to take a sample. And if we keep giving him laxitives he could become dehydrated. It is so sad to see him trying to have a bm. He wimpers throughout the day. My fear is that the pain from not being able to have a normal bm will get worse. AND the toxins are bound to make him sicker. Everything is happening so fast and we do not know what to do. I do not want him to suffer but I do not want to stop trying to find him a "cure". It sounds like some type of cancerous tumer that is spreading.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Wait until you see the vet tomorrow.

I absolutely understand the need to identify what's going on. But there's so much information on the internet and, if you don't have the proper training, it's really really easy to misidentify things or draw wrong conclusions. Not to mention that not all the info out there is good.

I know this is going to be really hard for you, but absolutely the best thing you can do, both for yourself and your pup is to enjoy him tonight, giving him lots of belly rubs, and wait to see what your vet has to say tomorrow.

When you have the word from her, let us know what she says. And good luck! Everything crossed for tomorrow.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lucy and I are keeping you in our prayers as well. Good luck..

Doreen and Lucy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, for your comments and prayers, we will know something today. We left a message with the doctor yesterday but they never called us back. We will try again today.

So far Buster is in good spirits and we give him extra attention as much as possible.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts