Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old female (I refuse to refer to her as a b....h) is having problems with her anal glands. I have the Vet express them about every three weeks on average, but sometimes more often. She gets dry food (Precise Formula), often spiced up with something like parmisan cheese or apple sauce or a little meat gravy. She also gets anti-tartar treats by Nutro and an occasional raw hide impregnated with an anti-tartar hormone prescribed by our Vet). Any suggestions about diet or other treatment would be appreciated.

A

·
0 Posts
Max has to have his anal glands expressed about every 2-3 weeks. His vet tells me that is not particularly unusual with hounds.

Max's Daddy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I've heard that some people have had good luck improving this problem by adding fiber to their dogs' diet.

A

·
0 Posts
Ahhh....my favorite subject: anal glands!
I express Franny's myself. I feel it helps us "bond" :D (Well, really it's because he needed it so frequently and as a student and part time employee it was soooo expensive.)
Anyway, I've discovered that if I add about 1/4 can of unsweetened pumpkin to his kibble every day, which he loves, I can lengthen the time between our little squeezes.
His stools are firm and regular (really, what a great subject!) and I see far less butt-scootin'.
As, I've stated before, I can squeeze his anal glands, put my fingers in his ears-practically up to my elbow, and stick drops in his eyes all times of day and night, but GOD FORBID I should even look at his feet!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Beverly: I laughed out loud at your last paragraph about his feet!! I express Emma's anal glands myself, too...and I always feel like we have a special bond. Especially when I clear the room after I announce what I'm about to do :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi... I'm rather new to having a basset and I don't know squat about their anal glands. Can someone tell me how you know if/when they need expressing? I've always been told that if a dog scoots on the floor/ground that that's what they're trying to do.

We rescued a 2-3yr old female (Josie) and have had her almost a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new Basset owner - my baby Annabelle is 10 months old she very healthy so far. We just love her - she is so affectionate and fun to be around. I have to admit this whole anal glands thing has me a little nervous! Doesn't sound like much fun - does the glands have to be expressed in puppies also? How will I know if I need to do it-I hope I don't sound stupid - I am just a Basset "rookie" and I don't want her to suffer from my inexperience...any help, tips or anything would be appreciated!

A

·
0 Posts
My AnnaBelle, you'll know by the really foul smell and the way she keeps trying and trying to expell something from her butt. Then she'll scoot her butt on the ground. Do NOT attempt to do this yourself without some real serious training but once learned you'll certainly know when you're due to go to work. Keep up with a healthy diet with a little fibre and it may not be neccesary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Beverly Anne - I really appreciate any advice on anything with her! My sons & I just love her. Is the pumpkin the best source of fiber? My Vet recommended it if necessary. Thanks again and I look forward to corresponding with the you and the other Basset lovers!
Karen

·
Registered
939 Posts
you could try a different food if she is not on a special diet.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Unsalted canned green beans have a lot of fiber too. Our dogs love them.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Annabelle:

Fix them a nice lentil soup with brown rice once or twice a week, and supplement their kibble diet with pumpkin (canned), green beans (like Marcia suggests), broccoli (a favorite for my pups) and other veggies, and the anal problems should disappear.

Worked miracles for Biscuit who had very problematic anal glands. Yogi (lab/ridgeback) meanwhile has eaten like this for years --- and he has the most beautiful teeth you can imagine, despite starting to approach middle age. Or is he an oldster yet? ?

It's simple but it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts