Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..Mattie once again has full anal glands. The last 2 times she has not let us express them for her, she yelp and cries like we are hurting her. So off to vet tomorrow.

Does anyone know anything that can help with this problem?
And does anyone know anything I can do to help her until she goes to vet tomorrow??

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm curious about this too. Virga has been dragging her bottom on the ground which from what I've Googled means she's trying to express her anal glands. I don't think she has full ones but I'm not sure. How do you tell? And should I mention it to the vet when she goes in to get spayed on Thursday? (Yikes!)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Virga mommy, it is to my understand when they drag their butts on the ground that is what they are doing is express their glands. Mattie is a big girl and she can't do this, wish she could. I would said something to the vet, it does not hurt for them to check her glands to make sure everything is ok.

When we first found out that Mattie couldn't express her glands, she got red on her belly and she couldn't go to the bathroom and when she did it was runny. Plus above her tail/lower back she had bumps all over the place. So now we keep a close eye on her. Normally she lets us do it, it a nasty nasty thing, but cheaper then going to vet every two months or so. It has been a couple of months since she has shown signs of having full glands, she is going in and out alot and she is holding her tail down this time and when she is outside she goes to the bathroom a little bit but not a whole lot. I feel so bad for her.

Hopefully Virga does not have this issue.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thank you for the insight! I hope Mattie's get better soon. Have you ever thought about having them removed? I Googled it and that was one suggestion if it's a serious problem.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Virga mommy, it is to my understand when they drag their butts on the ground that is what they are doing is express their glands
This may be true for most cases but not all. I have not had a basset with problem with anal gland but have owned a couple that would skoot after going if the had soft stools or a piece caught but only after going so if the dog is skooting at other time anal glands are likely the cause.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie hasn't had this problem, knock on wood. But being diligent I googled anal gland problems just the other day and found that some people whose pups are having AG issues will give them a scoop of pure pumpkin puree at feeding time to help "work things out".

·
Registered
972 Posts
Our beagle had terrible problems with her anal glands...and then when we got bowser i noticed that he too got a fishy smell...that and sometimes rubbing the butt on the ground, but usually not. Having stool that is too soft gets the glands impacted because they're not squished when the dog poops...too hard poop and the dog would be constipated, causing hemorrhoids and also possibly anal gland issues.

Switch your dog to food that has probiotics in it. If that's too expensive, then just hit the human vitamin section and get them some. Acidophilus works great. You can feed the dog some unsweetened yogurt with cultures in it as well, though not too much since some dogs don't handle lactose well. I would just stick with the pill form if the food is too pricey...and it is....but it does work WONDERS.

I still have to expel anal glands every now and then...Daisy's never (the beagle) now...but bowser's poo is still a little soft, so every month or two I have to squeeze them out. He's still a pup so his are very easy and (gross) practically shoot across the room...haha too much info i know! Imagine my surprise..... ANyway...
I did my mom's weenie dog and it came out like toothpaste...so that ought to let you know that is not good! I'm surprised hers worked at all. Her older dog was really bad but i couldn't get it to come out.
ANyway, it SHOULD shoot out like bowsers, but really you shouldn't need to do it that often, or so i understand, if their poo is the right consistency!

Yay poo and anal talk!!! : )

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jaleey, thanks for the poo talk! LOL!! When Mattie was younger we had no problem doing her glands, and they would just shot out. Her right side was better then her left. My husband does this, I just do the holding. But like you said it does just shots out. But the last time and now this time, Mattie will not let us do her glands, she yelps and cries and squeezes so tight nothing is going in nor out. So I don't know if it is coming from her age or what. Thankfully, Mattie goes about 2 to 3 months before her glands have to be express. The funny thing is now when Mattie sees the gloves coming out she runs from us, cause she knows what is coming. But I am going to look about getting the food or the vitamin's. Thanks for that tip and the poo and anal talk! LOL!!

Annie, I have heard the pumkin puree has work from some on here and I have heard that it hasn't work. I have not tried it myself but I might just have to. Be very thankfully that your belove animal does not have this problem. This is my first animal with it, so it takes some getting use to.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mattie went to vet today and her glands were indeed full. She said my hubsand would have had a hard time express them. SO she has some relif. Vet and I talked about that need Science Plan food that has came out to help dogs lost weight. She thinks Mattie is a prefect candidate for that. So she going to check on prices and we might give it a go. The food has extra fiber in it so that will help with her glands too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts