Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Why is he on antibiotics? If he has an infection that seems resistant to the antibiotics he's currently on, it might be worth while to ask for a culture and sensitivity (C&S) on material collected from the site of the new infection. This test grows out the organism(s) and then tests them against various antibiotics, to determine which antibiotics would be most effective. The one potential drawback is that sometimes, when antibiotics are already being used, the bugs' growth is inhibited. Sometimes, the patient has to be taken off all antibiotics before a C&S yields useful information.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Poor guy--hope he's more comfortable soon. Buffet had a cyst near the end of her tail burst yesterday evening. Boy, a little blood goes a long way, especially when it's flying off the end of a vigorously wagging tail.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Yes, Buffet has had a ton, and currently has several more. In the past, she has had something like 12-13 removed at a time, but we decided that was more trouble than it was worth.

Now, I keep an eye on them, and when one bursts, I clean it vigorously with soap, water, and hydrogen peroxide daily and then put triple antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. Every time I clean, I make sure I express as much junk out of it as I can. Most don't get infected, and I can manage them myself. However, sometimes they do get infected, and she needs oral antibiotics in addition to warm soaks and wound care for those. (I do sometimes need to muzzle her while I clean, because it's not the most pleasant experience for her, especially if it's infected.)

The infected ones tend to have a lot of hard, tender to painful surrounding tissue and don't respond as well to my usual regimen.

Most of Buffet's are sebaceous cysts (also called epidermal inclusion cysts or epidermoid cyts--the terminology changes), but a couple have been benign skin tumors of other types.

The non-cyst skin tumors tend to feel more solid and to continue to enlarge slowly over time. These are the ones that I now have removed.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Buffet just had another cyst burst, this time on her ear. :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.