Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't know who I feel more sorry for, you or Moe! My Toby had about 50 cysts out in two different surgeries as he would have been under anesthesia too long if my vet had done them all at once. I drew maps showing the location and put red nail polish on the hair so they could find them more easily. He looked like a patchwork quilt. After that my vet did them under local before they got big enough to require general anesthesia.
They never seemed to show much discomfort after that first day. My vet uses a yellow antibiotic powder so never had an infection and never had to use an e-collar.

I don't know how much of a genetic predisposition there is in certain lines. I think they're enough of a nuisance to warrant trying to breed dogs without cysts. But then that would probably eliminate most of the breed. :wink:

Glad to hear both you and Moe are feeling a little better.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Teri that wasn't 50 at one time-it was two seperate surgeries several months apart. There were a lot of very small ones but I figured seeing as he was being anesthetized we might as well get all we could.

I think my vet only charged me $50.00 for the first surgery-that's for all 25 lumps. I remember thinking it must have cost her more than that for the sutures alone. The second time was more, maybe $ 150.

It really doesn't take long to remove a simple cyst. I've seen a couple done under local and she just cuts them out, skin and all. I'm surprised Toby had enough skin left to cover all the holes. :cry:

PS: I know I'm older than Beverly Anne and I don't know who she meant either. :wink:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well I know I'm older than Teri, Beverly Anne and Bassets3. I do know who Lumpy Rutherford is but when you get my age the memory shrinks while everything else get's bigger. :( I used to watch "Leave It To Beaver" but Bassets3 is right, I only watch TV about once a year. My TV days ended when I got my first basset 40 years ago. I don't like watching TV by myself and since none of my bassets were TV fans, I sat and read while they tried to eat the books, for which I was banned from the local library. :wink:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Terry that was at least 10 years ago so I'm sure prices have gone up. My vet says her prices are not low, nor are they high. Plus I think I got "frequent flyer miles." ;) Although when I was in recently for my cats vaccinations, rabies and whatever else they get, check up and nail trimming, I was shocked when the tech told me $72 dollars. My vet heard me gasp so gave me a discount and only charged me $50. :D She's building a new hospital so I suspect the prices are going to take a big jump.

Also there's one price for the surgery, and the only extras are pre-op blood work and meds you take home. She doesn't itemize and charge individually for surgery, anesthesia, IV's, sutures and whatever else they used during the surgery, though I'm sure their cost is figured into the price. But hey she's not starving and neither are the other 5 vets in the practice.

Will be thinking of you and Moe tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.