Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It doesn't really matter, they are all basset hounds.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Having lived both sides of the Atlantic, and bred my UK-bred hounds with Canadian and American Bassets, the fact is there should be no significant difference. The Breed Standards are basically the same, with a few, perhaps significant, differences. For eg the UK Standard has no 'height at withers' disqualifying fault.

European hounds tend to be bigger - 'more of', and I believe that is perhaps down to the fact that in Europe, the Artesian Normand has separate classes. Not so in the UK. Because of this, European breeders have tended to breed for 'more'. Be it skin or size, or bone. Was a time when the European breeders imported their stock from the UK but not so much these days - quite the reverse in fact to the point that the breed in the UK moved to being exaggerated. Something that has /is being corrected by a revision of the UK Breed Standard, moving away from excesses.

American Bassets have, in my opinion, better heads than seen in the UK now. We in the UK used to have better fronts but not so with rears than American hounds.

The risk with 'American vs European' is that many American breeders appear to be influenced by bigger, and 'European lines' have become somewhat of a cult. There are good and bad things in Bassets both sides of the Atlantic however, but if people import, they have to know when to use what the import has to offer in terms of new blood and features they need, and then get back into their original lines. Which is what I aimed to do with my UK bred foundation stock when in Canada. I did get a kick out of putting a UK title on one of the hounds, bred in Canada, brought back with us to the UK.

Basically there should be no difference, but visually there can be.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
In the state any breeder calling their bassets "american" or "European" "French" "English" generally do so as an explanation/justification for why their dogs don't match the breed standard. ie the don't look like what bassets are suppose to.

I refer you to THE TOPSFIELD BOYS Can you tell which dog are of american or European ancestry? There are both on the page. A well bred basset hound is simply a well bred basset hound. A poorly bred hound is a poorly bred hound no need to get any more elaborate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts