Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

I was just wondering if anyone has a tried and tested natural flea treatment or an alternative to the ones you buy in pet shops & vets?
I'm just enquiring as someone else put the doubt in my head regarding the ones from pet shops etc that last 3months on your dogs skin protecting them from fleas!
It does sound a bit wrong & must be really harsh stuff?.....both my Bassets are showing signs of sensitive skin.....they itch quite a bit...but particularly Barry has sore sensitive armpits & now over the next few days I've seen little Betty scratching under her arm!.....I originally thought she was just copying Barry as she does with quite a few things but i've now noticed a small eczema type patch that i've been treating with sudacrem!
I've previously heard giving them garlic capsules will have the same effect and repels fleas & ticks naturally & is also good for them too!
Has anyone tried garlic??
While I mentioned sensitive skin does anyone give their Bassets any suppliments for skin conditions.......such as I was thinkin olive oil on biscuits or cod liver oil tablets??
I look forward to your replies.....Many Thanks x

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I use to work for a Vet who said it is B1 that can help with fleas. I give brewers yeast to my dogs since it has most of the B vitamins in it and you really cannot over dose. If you use the powder about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon on the food daily depending on the weight of the dog. Sizable dogs could use a tablespoon on food. Right now I use the tablets and give 3 to Esa(62lbs) and 3 to Vinny(71lbs) if I start to see signs of fleas I will increase to 5 tablets each.Sorry I don't recall the miligram size right now but they are rather small. There has only been one time about two years ago where I had a flea problem and they were not on anything. I prefer not to use chemical products. My daughter uses a once a month product like Frontline on her dog and she seems fine with it(the dog). I plan to breed Esa eventually so that is one of my reasons for not using other products. I'm sure Mikey will have some info on this subject of brewers yeast and such but inspite of what that is,(I'm sure saying these products do nothing at all):rolleyes: I still prefer natural. It works on my dogs .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a product from Sergant's called Natures Guardian on Snickers. It is made with natural ingredients, and smells really good. It's a once a month thing, and I have not found any fleas or ticks on her, it also repels and kills mosquitos. She doesn't seem to have had any reactions to it.....I also sometimes like to spray her with Avon's Skin So Soft. I have a spray bottle of it I diluted with some water (1/2 and 1/2) and that seems to keep the bugs at bay, plus it makes her coat nice and shiny, and she smells soooo good! I have also heard about the Brewer's yeast, but have never tried it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
One of my dogs has sensitive skin and allergies and would often get skin infections where he would lose all his hair in areas, usually on his stomach. His condition has improved dramatically since we switched to a high-end food.

The cost of food is more expensive but the reduced vet costs helps.

Are you sure the problem stems from fleas? Sounds like they may have allergies like mine does. Do they chew on their paws?

There are flea treatments from the vet that come in a pill form instead of a topical form. Maybe that would help. I don't think they cover ticks though.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The only flea treatment that last 3 month is a flea collar and these use a pesticide which can be harmful if ingested. The spot on treatments (perscription not over the counter last a maximium 2 months on fleas and 1 month on tick recommendation is to apply every month, While the do include a pesticide as well the doseing is such the is no harm to dogs even from liking. However some spot on treatment that contain Pyrethrin which can be fatal for cats so are not apporpiate for dog and cat households, advantix is one such brand.

Studies have been done on the efectiveness of garlic and brewers yeast and garlic of the abilty to repair fleas . The have no ability to do so.
Natural Flea Control Products Note that product cited that reduce flea counts but do not eliminate then really are not effect. The most common allery in pets is from flea bite and a single bite will trigger a significant reaction. A more structure program that eliminates feas completely is needed

[URL="http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2010/04/05/its-flea-and-tick-season-how-to-protect-your-pet-from-parasites/"]It’s flea and tick season: How to protect your pet from parasites[/url]
note many essential oils touted as natural flea remedies are actual more toxic and less safe than the prescription product, many of the over the counter spot on treats while often substantial cheeper than the perscription product have much more adverse regulation and are under current FDA study for tighening regulations.

both my Bassets are showing signs of sensitive skin.....they itch quite a bit...but particularly Barry has sore sensitive armpits & now over the next few days I've seen little Betty scratching under her arm!.....
It is highly unlikely this is sensitve skin, rather it is a "yeast infection" Yeast infections in dogs are usual secondary to a primary cause such as allergy or Seborrhea

Check out this thread on another board that is about treating "Yeast Dermatitis"

Yeast!

If the dogs suffer from a dry dull coat, supplimenting with fish oil can help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The only flea treatment that last 3 month is a flea collar and these use a pesticide which can be harmful if ingested. The spot on treatments (perscription not over the counter last a maximium 2 months on fleas and 1 month on tick recommendation is to apply every month, While the do include a pesticide as well the doseing is such the is no harm to dogs even from liking. However some spot on treatment that contain Pyrethrin which can be fatal for cats so are not apporpiate for dog and cat households, advantix is one such brand.

.QUOTE]

Research shows Frontline Plus actually last for three months for fleas, one month for ticks.
I use it every two or three months instead of monthly because I don't think it's as safe as what they claim. I have had vets tell me we need to use it every month year round but I won't do that. So our dogs maybe get three tubes, if that a year.
I think some people use Diatomaceous Earth or Garlic Barrier but I have no idea if it actually works or not. Also, some vets are now recommending Ectopamine Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs, but it smells so strong!
I use a really good quality fish oil for Yogi and Gunny, good for the skin and joints. It's called SeaPet Fish Oil with Vitamin E.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Research shows Frontline Plus actually last for three months for fleas
Research shows Frontline Plus actually last for three months for fleas
Two other dogs, one from group 1 and one from group 3 developed similar signs and were exluded on day day 79 and not replaced.
group 3 was the Frontline type product and the reason the dog was pulled from the study was because of system consitent with flea bite dermatitis, This to me is a failure but in term of study it was double blind etc they could not know at the time a dog pulled was on medication or not.

Secondy if one looks at the results effectiveness of the frontline product was 99.3 at day 65 but drops to 75.4 on day 93 To me that is below the >95.% efficacy hence Frontline at two month not three. The other Fipronil based treatment is a european one I don't think it is approved for use in the US but I could easly be wrong at that, There may be other studies that show frontline effective at 90 days I don't know but at least this particular one does not suport the 90 day effectivness,

think some people use Diatomaceous Earth
DE is somewhat effective in control flea infestagin in the home most as preventitive on the dog. DE is a descant and kills flea by drying them out. It is very important to note there are a couple varaints of DE that used as a filter mead in pool, etc has been bakes and treat so it is very crytaline in nature, This can be very harmfull if inhailed it should never be used as a flea treatment. DE in the garden center, pharmacy have not been treated in this manner and are harmless. Another common dessicant is borax but it is extremely toxic to plants so can not be used in the outdoor environment but is ok in the house.

The active ingredients in Ectopamine are all essential oil which can be very toxic as noted before natural does not necessarily mean safer .
it contains ciinimon oil, pepperment oil, lrmon grass oil, clove oil, thyme oil.
the NRDC consider [url=http://www.simplesteps.org/greenpaws-products#/h/+/+/657] oil of cinnamon as realitive harmful and more toxic than some of the normal chemical used to protect against feas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer natural way only.. Now a days there are several natural ways such as boiling lemons and making a lemon spray that will safely repel fleas and not harm your pets.. you can google it and you will find many recipes and much information

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry spelled wrong but food grade diatomeceous earth has been reccommended by people I have personally not tried it yet. My dogs are not using anything now but next year I will give it a shot. One of my girl has a big lump that she got from putting on flea treatment a few years back plus after reading about how dangerous these chemical topical treatments are I would not use them on my dogs anymore.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We used DE this past flea season. You have to remember to treat not only the dog, but also any environment that the dog will be in....yard and home. I think DE does work, but for us, not all that great. I tried a few natural treatments (DE, Skin So Soft, Brewer's Yeast and Garlic) before switching to chemicals. For us, it was K9 Advantix II that eventually got everything under control.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it to be safe) that each individual case is different...different dog, different environment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We used DE this past flea season. You have to remember to treat not only the dog, but also any environment that the dog will be in....yard and home. I think DE does work, but for us, not all that great. I tried a few natural treatments (DE, Skin So Soft, Brewer's Yeast and Garlic) before switching to chemicals. For us, it was K9 Advantix II that eventually got everything under control.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it to be safe) that each individual case is different...different dog, different environment.
I have found the same thing. How often do you use the advantix? In the off season as well?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used the advantix every 4 weeks, like clock work lol. The fleas would remind me to put it on her.

I do not use it on the off-season and haven't ever had a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
on my past basset hounds I have used brewers yeast with garlic powder and never had flea problems. There coats stayed shiny and no itching noted. Now my current little basset I have started on brewers yeast with garlic tabs. I think prior to me getting her she was getting bathed more which can make there skin itchy and more prone to dry skin and irritations. Since about a week on the brewers yeast, itching has decreased significantly. I also bought a natural spray product for flea and tick that has neem oil. I will try this season to stay natural and see how she does. I do believe each dog needs to be assessed on an individual basis. what works for one may not work for another. So whatever works by trial and error. I would prefer to stay away from chemical products so I will see how she does this coming season...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm curious for those who have had success with the natural products and things like brewers yeast, what part of the country are you in? We live in the south and have a horrendous flea and tick problem here. I've never had anything work but the chemicals, and the most expensive ones at that.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I've previously heard giving them garlic capsules will have the same effect and repels fleas & ticks naturally & is also good for them too!
Has anyone tried garlic??
studies on brewers yeast and garlic show them to be totally and completely ineffective

It does sound a bit wrong & must be really harsh stuff?.....
not at all the use a pesticide that targets the nervious system of insects but is realitively inocious to higher level animal like mammals.

is is aborbed into the skin and secreted by the sebacious glands hens why it is water proof. nothing harsh

both my Bassets are showing signs of sensitive skin.....they itch quite a bit...but particularly Barry has sore sensitive armpits & now over the next few days I've seen little Betty scratching under her arm!.....I originally thought she was just copying Barry as she does with quite a few things but i've now noticed a small eczema type patch that i've been treating with sudacrem!

the problem you discribe sound like a yeast infection there a grenerally two major onderly causes of yeast infection in bassets. 1 is allergies and 2 is sheborrhea which is general characterized by by a greasy coat and dandruff but there is a dry form as well in which the coat is dry and brittle. Untill you solve the inderlying problem the yeast infections will be recurring. Keep in mind the number 1 allergy in dog is flea bites.

Certain natural remedies do work but they are environmental in nature making it less likely to develop a flea infestation in the home rathe than stoping a single flea bite like the topicals do. And just because they are natural does not make them safer.

pyrethrin

fipronil

methoprene

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Natural Approaches for Flea Control
Unfortunately, certain natural flea control options may pose more dangers than conventional products, and offer less effectiveness. As stewards of animal and public health, veterinarians have a responsibility to inform their clients of the potential hazards of both natural and synthetic flea control products. Learning about the dangers of natural approaches can be challenging, though, since books and Internet sites espousing natural healthcare for animals rarely address animal and public health hazards adequately.

Dietary management (e.g., adding brewer’s yeast and garlic to the animal’s diet) has the least evidence of efficacy for flea control. In one study on brewer’s yeast, dogs received fourteen grams daily for five weeks with no effect.1 Garlic causes Heinz body anemia and "should not be fed to dogs"

Topical products for natural flea control routinely contain essential oils (EOs), which are highly concentrated botanical compounds. ...
However, essential oils applied to the skin can cause contact dermatitis and allergic reactions; topical pennyroyal oil can be deadly to animals. Oral administration heightens the risk of toxicity; obviously, topically applied EOs become orally ingested as the animal self-cleans the fur following administration. EOs may contain salicylates, obviating their usage in cats. Certain EOs (eucalyptus, pennyroyal, wormwood, camphor, fennel, hyssop, sage, savin, tansy, thuja, rosemary, and pine) can be epileptogenic; 4

1992 case report of pennyroyal toxicosis in a dog describes the case of a seven year-old, thirty kg female mixed-breed dog, treated topically for fleas with sixty milliliters of 100% pennyroyal oil, obtained from a local health food store. Less than one hour after application, dog because listless. After two hours, vomiting began. Within thirty hours, diarrhea, hemoptysis, epistaxis, lethargy developed. Following admission to the veterinary hospital, the dog developed seizures and died, despite supportive measures.7

Exposure to neem extracts is not without risk, however. There are reports of toxic encephalopathy in infants and young children following oral ingestion.9 Animal studies found dose-related impairment of thyroid function and hepatotoxicity

1 - 17 of 17 Posts