Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss Emma, who turns one on Friday, has always had surprisingly clean ears. Last year I only cleaned them three or four times and they were never that bad. During the winter all I did was check them. This last weekend I looked at them and the left one was terrible! The strange thing is the right one was clean. Her left one has always been the dirtier one but never this bad. After cleaning it real well I called the vet on Monday and they said it might an infection or allergies. I checked it again last night and it is starting to get bad again. I have also noticed that she is rolling in the grass and scratching some. I have heard that Bassets are prone to allergies. Does anyone else have a dog exhibiting this? If so, do you think it is a spring allergy issue or one that will continue all summer? I don't mind going to the vet, but I really don't think they will do anything but clean her ears and give her an antihistamine. I have though of giving her half a Benadril to see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone for your opinion!

I am posting this in both the health and general categories to get more views. If the mods feel this should only be in the health, then feel free to delete it from the general. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Inhalant allergies to grasses, etc. generally appear as the dog approaches the age of 2, but they can arise earlier or later. At first, they're seasonal, often peaking in the spring and fall, but as the dog gets older, they can become year-round.

If my basset had the symptoms you describe, I'd have her seen by the vet. She might just have wax in her ear, but the changes you describe could also signal a yeast or other infection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My hound, Otis, suddenly got ear problems last year. After a couple of vet trips and several medications, he was diagnosed with "rods" bacteria. I don't know exactly what rods is, but it is highly resistant to traditional treatments. We finally got some special antibiotics that took care of the problem.

M

·
0 Posts
I would also recommend a trip to the Vet. He or She has instruments that can see deep into the ear canal which we can't. There might be some infection going on that needs several medications. I know over the 15 years I had Maggie Mae she made quite a few trips to the Vet for ear infections. Usually rubbing the ear, shaking their head is a good indication. While you're there, discuss the routine care for Basset ears. Whenever I take mine to the Vet I ask every question I can think of. Good Luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her left ear was bad again Thursday. So we took her to the vet this morning. It is allergies which is what we expected. Ear drops and eye ointment for a week. I am thankful it is nothing serious.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts