Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I took some advice from an earlier post and have really helpe poor Sammy with his itching and his skin irritation by adding Benadryl, vitamin e and fish oil to his daily routine.

But his eyes (especially one of them) are pretty irritated and I think he's still itching on the sly. Is there anything that can help? I don't want to put anything goopy on that's not prescribed. I figure it will just catch more stuff in it.....but I would love some things to try before I go in to the vet. Not that I wouldn't, but if I don't HAVE to pay for a vet visit and meds it would really help us out.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Plain and simple, basset eye problems aren't something that owners should try to treat on their own. With bassets, any sort of eye problem pretty much calls for a vet visit, for a pressure check. Once the pressure check rules out acute glaucoma, then the vet can check for other problems before prescribing something to help with itching and irritation. Good luck. :)

[ September 11, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

A

·
0 Posts
EVERY Basset I own now and in the future will visit a veterinary opthamologist and have it's eyes/angles checked for glaucoma. Having been through this horrible disease with my deceased Basset Nellie has made me a bit "cautious" as far as eyes go. Just a thought and I'm glad the fish oil and Vit. E helped. I'm starting the same therapy with Molly. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My feeling is that it's probably just the allergies and he has irritated it by itching at it. It's mostly the skin irritation and minor goopiness that I don't like. And he is half basset/half beagle, so his eyes aren't typical droopy basset eyes at all...but I totally agree. Best not to mess with eyes. We'll take a trip to the vet. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Larry's had 2-3 minor eye irritations over the past 18 months; the vet recommended a topical cream that we applied for a week to 10 days. However, no pressure check was suggested or done. Is this something that we should insist upon?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have a 12 year-old who has seasonal bouts of allergic conjunctivitis. I always expect a pressure check whenever we visit the vet because her eyes are bothering her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts