Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of someone being allergic to Bassett Hounds but not other dogs? I have grown up with all kinds of different dogs (beagles/Golden Retreivers/Labradors/Spaniels). I have had a dry, wheezing cough for the last week. I went to the Dr. today and he thinks it may be alergies to our new bassett. The only way to know for sure, according to the Dr. is to go to an alergist. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Bassets shed like crazy. You might be allergic to dogs and not realize it.

I'm allergic to cats and can tell you if one is in the building by how my throat closes up. I too am allergic to dogs or so my allergy tests indicated but they've never bothered me. However, I do vaccuum just about every day and dust the same amount of time.

You should be tested by an allergist.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
i think it's possible to develop allergies --- either that or a pre-existing allergy which never caused any problems ever before may suddenly flare up

also, bear in mind that an allergy can be complicated by other factors --- so, say, you have a manageable allergy to something, a no big deal allergy. but suddenly, it gets real dusty or moldy, or you end up in a house full of smokers or something, and those irritants can make the allergy seem to go nuts.

i suddenly developed an allergy to walnuts the last year or so. it's very distressing because i love walnuts. but out of the blue, they began making my mouth itch and break out.

maybe the same has happened with you and doggies?

i don't know the solution. i'm allergic to cats and grew up with them --- never remembered one single problem with them either. but after i'd been away from cats for a year or so, boy, did i ever notice! i love cats but can't stand to be around them because they make my face itch if i get anywhere near them.

cat allergies seem to be worse than dog allergies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of someone being allergic to Bassett Hounds but not other dogs? [/b]
About 14yrs ago, I developed allergies to my hounds. I felt like I had the flu all the time and if Basset saliva got on my skin I'd break out in a rash or mini-hives. After taking all the tests, I was diagnosed with allergies to cats, horses, rabbits, and house mites, but my most severe reactions were to dogs with oily coats (Bassets) and heavy dog saliva (Bassets). As the allergist explained to me, people develop allergies to what they're most exposed to and I'd lived in close contact with Bassets for almost 20yrs. Since my allergies stopped short of asthma, I was able to take the allergy shots (dogs and house mites, but not horse, rabbit or cat) and they really helped. After about 6yrs of shots my allergies had moderated enough that I stopped taking the shots and now get by on a once a day antihistimine (Allegra works great) and an occasional decongestant. Oh yeah, I still have to be careful to wash off Basset slobber right away and NEVER touch my eyes or nose with "Basset contaminated" hands(g). However, saliva or hair contact from my Borter Terrier doesn't bother me much at all. Nowadays, the worst allergy problem I have is when I spend a weekend at an obedience trial/dog show that's held in a horse arena or rodeo/fair grounds. I understand the allergy shots available today are very effective, should you decide/need to go that route.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It could just be a seasonal thing. With the weather changing so are there coats. I find im allergic to snoopy in March/April time (summer coat coming threw) and then again in Oct/Nov (winter coats coming threw). Well that's just my theory. I just get itchy eyes and sneezing so im not too bad but I really can sympathies with you. I am allergic to cats too. I tend to be fine around them for an hour but any longer than that and I get a cough, sneezes, and itchy eyes really badly!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I am going with the theory that the change of season and effect it has on max coat is the problem.

Hopefully, I can find a solution and keep the dog, he is a great friend to me and my family!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have lots of allergies, and have had them all my life. A person can develop different types of allergies at any point in their life, so yes, you could certainly have a new allergy to dogs. I would think, though, that you would be allergic to most dogs, not just Basset Hounds. Have you tried being around another breed to see what happens? Also, if it is allergies, a claritinD or something along those lines should help. Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have taught asthma management for years. ( I am a Respiratory Therapist)

It does take more than one trigger to make someone wheeze, often. This is a bad allergy season for alot of people. So it could be a mix of it all, plus your favorite basset hound.

Do yourself a favor and get your doc to order you a Peak Flow meter. This is a little device that when you exhale into it, it will measure the amount of air you can blow out. When your airways are swollen from allergies, that changes the number. It gives the doc a good idea of the inflammation going on in the airways.

If it's easier for you, let me know, and I will mail you a Peak Flow meter.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Good point about the peak flow meter. Maybe it's dry where you live. My allergies have been at their worst since we moved here last year. And this season, it's also been at it's worst probably because it's so dry.

The pulmonologist I used to see when we lived in FL wanted me to get rid of Ruby which I refused. He also said I should never have her sleep in our bedroom. Seeing that she doesn't sleep on the bed and I vaccuum almost every day, it helps. I also change her bedding every week.

Even little Ruby has been sneezing her head off. She's so cute when she sneezes. Her eyes cross like when she barks. :p

Anyway, I too hope you can keep your dog.

Sneeze, sneeze, wheeze, wheeze,
Janice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts