Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I went to check on Shyla before bed, I noticed that she had a few hives on her head, snout and quite a few on her ears. It scared me to death as I don't know what she could have had a reaction to. She was perfectly fine when I had brought her in an hour before. I gave her half a Benedryl (as I had heard you could give that to your dog but did not know how much!). She was acting fine and was begging for treats and wanted to play. I settled her down and went to bed. I got up around 2:30 in the morning and checked on her and the hives only remained on her ears. This morning her ears felt a bit thick and she was shaking her head a bit. I gave her a bath and gave her another benedryl before I left for work. Again, she was acting totally normal and in great spirits. I can't imagine what she could have gotten into!! Anyway, as I was telling my mother about it this morning she mentioned to watch out for a hematoma on the ears and that it would have to be opened and drained by a vet if it happens. Now I am very worried. I would have taken her straight away to the vet this morning if I thought that she was in pain or was not acting the same but she was fine and I had a very important meeting with clients this morning (which I would have missed if I felt she needed me to!). If anyone could offer any info on hematomas in the ears, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be worrying all day until I can check on her again. Thanks! :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, Betsy. I am sure I am worrying over nothing (although even more so now after reading those articles) but I just wanted to be informed. I will check on her again this afternoon and if it seems that she is experiencing some of the symptoms I :( will take her on to the vets. Her ears did feel warm to the touch. Gosh, I just don't want anything to happen to her. I love her so much. I really appreciate you looking up those articles.

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I'm new to this website, but am finding it most valuable. My Max was at the vet today for severe allergies. She told me that Max could have up to two Benedryl a day--regular dose. Max is a big guy weighing 62 muscular pounds. The Benedryl has helped immensely. Hope that all goes well for you.

Mike
Max's Daddy

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shyla once again broke out in hives last night. It has to be from something outside. I am wondering if it could be the mosquitos. Not sure if anyone has ever had a pup with allergies to mosquitos but would appreciate any advice. Keeping Shyla in at all times is just not an option. She loves the outdoors and we just recently fenced in our backyard for her and the kids. She is outside every evening and has never experienced any allergies prior to Wednesday night. We do not have anything different in our yard, we do not spray it, so I am just so confused. I have an appointment with the vet. I just can't imagine having to give Shyla something for allergies everyday! :( My poor baby! The odd thing is, is that she only gets the hives on her head, snout, ears. Not one spot on her body. We'll see what the vet says. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Lisa......I hope you're able to determine what Shyla is reacting to. Good luck and please keep us posted. :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Shyla went to the vet and was pronounced very healthy. She weighed 38 lbs. which I thought should be more but he said she is in great shape. He seems to think that she may have been bitten by ants or spiders, or even a bee. Although she was fine when we took her in, he went ahead and gave her an allergy shot and sent me home with some predisone for next time. He also said that her ears were red from her messing with them and put some cream in them. As usual, Shyla was so excited to be at the vet that she peed on the floor! She loves that place. I have never seen her get so excited as when she is there. He told me I could give her the Benedryl if she broke out again. I looked all over our yard for any ant hills but could not find any. She has been fine ever since. She did have a fluid filled spot on her ear that looked like a hematoma but it was gone by the time we went to the vet's. He said it was probably fliud filled instead of blood filled but told me to keep a very close eye on her if she does break out in hives again to keep her from shaking her ears and causing a blood hematoma. We also picked up our revolution for the month. All that for $61.00 is not bad at all, I think! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good news. Sounds like Shyla will be just fine, especially with all the wonderful care and attention bestowed upon her. Thanks for the update. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts